Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD - Popping Sounds at Slow Speeds (With Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took a little bit of pressure getting them to look at this issue again (exec escalation), but after getting that resolved the rest was silky smooth (probably didn't hurt that I had an awesome shop foreman helping me - his attitude was amazing). This was the 4th time its been in for this issue:

#1 - Tightened some loose bolt on the battery/replaced strut (not resolved)
#2 - Added insulation between floor and batt (not resolved)
#3 - Told me to pound sand (clearly not resolved)
#4 - See below. Overall a very positive experience this time. Had a really good tech and worked directly with the assistant service manager (not the service reps that check you in/out) and shop foreman.

"Technician performed a test drive and found popping noise coming from both the front and rear of the vehicle. Performed a rear suspension check and lubricated axles, found noise from the rear still present. Inspected the rear drive unit and found oil color to be darker than expected with metal fragments. Performed flush of drive unit fluid and refilled and found noise from the rear was no longer present. Performed additional tests and isolated noise from the front of the vehicle to the passenger front seat mount cross beam joint. Adjusted rearward beam and sheet metal cover. Test drove vehicle following repairs and verified the popping noise is no longer present."

Correction: Bolster - Side - Seat - 2nd Row - LH (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part BRACKET - PLASTIC(1111033-00-E) 1.0

It was covered under warranty. Though this issue was well documented on my account prior to 12,000 miles. Currently a few miles north of 19,000 miles.

I have the same pop but it usually a single pop. Happens on turns when there is a change of elevation and when I back out of my driveway bump. It isn't consistent and on some drives it will happen often and other it will not at all. Most of the time it sounds like it is coming from the b pillar floor area of passenger side. It has been going on for over a year. It definitely sounds more like it is inside the car than outside. For example, when I roll down my windows or have my wife listen from the outside it is much harder to hear it. Definitely happens more often in summer vs winter.

Can you elaborate more as to what they are talking about with the seat mount cross beam joint and what they adjusted? Also, why does it say they removed and replaced the 2nd row bolster?

Thanks as this could be the issue that has been driving me nuts but I'm confused on the language they used to fix it.

I have the same pop but it usually a single pop. Happens on turns when there is a change of elevation and when I back out of my driveway bump. It isn't consistent and on some drives it will happen often and other it will not at all. Most of the time it sounds like it is coming from the b pillar floor area of passenger side. It has been going on for over a year. It definitely sounds more like it is inside the car than outside. For example, when I roll down my windows or have my wife listen from the outside it is much harder to hear it. Definitely happens more often in summer vs winter.

Can you elaborate more as to what they are talking about with the seat mount cross beam joint and what they adjusted? Also, why does it say they removed and replaced the 2nd row bolster?

Thanks as this could be the issue that has been driving me nuts but I'm confused on the language they used to fix it.

Unfortunately not. I copied and pasted verbatim what was in my invoice/WO. My issue was probably more consistent than yours.

Cool, thanks. Yea your video clearly shows that it is pretty persistent and consistent. Crazy you had to go thru all that to finally get it resolved. My main issue is that my SC is like 2 hours away so it is big deal to go there, try to hope I can recreate the pop, hope they won't just brush it off, and then come back. It is pain unless it is easily reproducible and they said they won't go by videos that i record so that doesn't help.

This sounds like an issue I had when changing elevation or supercharging. On older models there is a service bulletin to replace the battery breather valves that help equalize the pressure in the battery and prevent the popping sound. I have not heard the sound since having them replaced.

This sounds like an issue I had when changing elevation or supercharging. On older models there is a service bulletin to replace the battery breather valves that help equalize the pressure in the battery and prevent the popping sound. I have not heard the sound since having them replaced.

I think they are different sounds. The sound from the battery heat expansion is more of a boomy, metal pan sound. I've had that sound too (maybe like 5 times total). This is a more distinct pop.

I thought initially maybe it was just a different pop coming from flexing the battery. Maybe? I had the battery breathers replaced just in case and it makes no difference for this sound I'm getting which is quite similar to the video but it is a single pop/knock.