Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Pop/Bang" Sound While Driving (not pre-conditioning)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal for the 2023 Tesla Model Y LR to have loud pop/bang sound after about 15 minute (~10 miles) of driving? The Model Y is not navigating to a supercharger.

Never had that sound when driving a 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD LFP or 2021 VW ID.4. Only had pop/bangs when charging on previous vehicles.

Does it only happen at rest or when in motion?

Like the others have mentioned, sounds like the same effect as a baking sheet popping from warping when it goes in and out of the oven. Some sort of tension in the body panels and/or battery casing that hits a critical deflection point, causing the metal to pop as it warps. Tesla's way of simulating an engine backfire lol.

• Funny
Reactions: andaconda

Like the others have mentioned, sounds like the same effect as a baking sheet popping from warping when it goes in and out of the oven. Some sort of tension in the body panels and/or battery casing that hits a critical deflection point, causing the metal to pop as it warps. Tesla's way of simulating an engine backfire lol.
When I'm in motion - usually a few blocks from home.

Just about any temp. I even get it in the summer. More so in the winter.

Interesting - so I guess I should just take it as normal and expect it to happen all the time regardless of temperature and/or pre-conditioning.

Also in SoCal, 2023 MY, 35 - 70*. I’m often on the road at 3:30am, other days 7:00am. I don’t precondition the battery.

I’ve never heard any popping or banging.

I don't precondition either - just get in the car and go to work around 8am in the morning - about 10-15 min in, one loud "pop".

In motion.

That's exactly where I feel it and it usually happens within a couple of miles from my house. I've always assumed it was related to the battery heating up.
I always thought it only happens on extreme temperature and/or preconditioning the battery to a fast charger.

Never had any issues with a 2023 Model 3 LFP or 2021 VW ID.4 when driving regularly and not heating battery for charging.

Says while charging though?
While charging there is usually a temperature change which causes materials to expand. When two parts (battery casing vs chassis) expand differently, it creates a tension. When it moves to release the tension, it creates that popping sound. Could also happen while you drive., But of course it never hurts to have Tesla look at it. It could be something else.

I get a pop sound when pulling in or backing out of the driveway over the sloped sidewalk (only when it's cold). I've had Tesla Service look at it. It's the upper enclosure for the battery pack. Apparently it's a non issue, though slightly annoying. We always know when Fall is over and winter is here.😉