Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Maintenace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to bother you guys again. I bought pear white model 3 recently and whenever it rains I see car is filled with Dirt. So I took a microfiber cloth and started cleaning whole, I just applied little water and not much. After reading through the forums, I understood that I did a mistake. I am not sure if I screwed up the paint. Can someone please let me know how to look out for scratches on the car. On initial glance, I didn't notice any but when I turned on flash light I see some kind of marks :( .
Say if I have scratched the car with micro-fiber cloth, can someone guide me on how to fix it? I am planning to do 2 Bucket wash that's listed on youtube. But say if my car has lot of dirt, do I need to remove it first and then use 2 bucket wash. It so confusing :( .

Sorry to bother you guys again. I bought pear white model 3 recently and whenever it rains I see car is filled with Dirt. So I took a microfiber cloth and started cleaning whole, I just applied little water and not much. After reading through the forums, I understood that I did a mistake. I am not sure if I screwed up the paint. Can someone please let me know how to look out for scratches on the car. On initial glance, I didn't notice any but when I turned on flash light I see some kind of marks :( .
Say if I have scratched the car with micro-fiber cloth, can someone guide me on how to fix it? I am planning to do 2 Bucket wash that's listed on youtube. But say if my car has lot of dirt, do I need to remove it first and then use 2 bucket wash. It so confusing :( .
You have swirl marks now and that's fairly normal unless it's a show car. You can get rid of it with full paint correction, polishing off some clear coat, but you'll get them again no matter what you do.

Even the guy who is widely regarded as the person who came up with the two bucket method says he gets swirl marks. As a rule of thumb, don't brush up against your car when it's dirty, use plenty of soap to add lubrication when washing. Many of us use the two bucket method with ONR. If it's really dirty and weather allows, I'll use a power washer first with soap and then rinse it to try to get the larger dirt particles off.

The end goal will be not to prevent swirl marks altogether because that's, generally, not possible, but you can try to minimize them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesnewbee
You have swirl marks now and that's fairly normal unless it's a show car. You can get rid of it with full paint correction, polishing off some clear coat, but you'll get them again no matter what you do.

Even the guy who is widely regarded as the person who came up with the two bucket method says he gets swirl marks. As a rule of thumb, don't brush up against your car when it's dirty, use plenty of soap to add lubrication when washing. Many of us use the two bucket method with ONR. If it's really dirty and weather allows, I'll use a power washer first with soap and then rinse it to try to get the larger dirt particles off.

The end goal will be not to prevent swirl marks altogether because that's, generally, not possible, but you can try to minimize them.
Thanks for your valuable input. How do you power wash with soap? Where can I buy the equipment from?