Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do 5-gallon buckets fit in the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is in fact a serious question. I would like to get started with washing my car "the right way" by handwashing with the two bucket method and dirt guards, applying optimum no rinse, applying wax, and drying with some chamois or high quality microfiber towels. The thing is, I live in an apartment that prohibits car washing, so I would have to spend some time parked at the self-service car wash. It all sounds good, except that I'm not sure if a 5-gallon bucket of water would actually fit in the car, or if I'll have to use a smaller, more expensive bucket or something specialized like Chemical Guys' 4.25 gallon bucket, which seems a bit wider compared to normal buckets.

I swear I've tried finding an answer but no one has posted about it, and I don't have a 5 gallon bucket to try lol

So this is in fact a serious question. I would like to get started with washing my car "the right way" by handwashing with the two bucket method and dirt guards, applying optimum no rinse, applying wax, and drying with some chamois or high quality microfiber towels. The thing is, I live in an apartment that prohibits car washing, so I would have to spend some time parked at the self-service car wash. It all sounds good, except that I'm not sure if a 5-gallon bucket of water would actually fit in the car, or if I'll have to use a smaller, more expensive bucket or something specialized like Chemical Guys' 4.25 gallon bucket, which seems a bit wider compared to normal buckets.

I swear I've tried finding an answer but no one has posted about it, and I don't have a 5 gallon bucket to try lol
We sold our last house 6 yrs ago in order to travel more and not worry about leaving an empty house for long periods. Our apartment does not have facilities either. Another tenant does the two bucket method as well, only he carries his water buckets down from his apartment, using a dolly.

Reactions: fredjan
You would have to go to the self service at a time when it's dead. I don't think any place would allow you to take all that time holding up a bay. Maybe there is a place in your town that does careful car washing by hand.
I wouldn't take up a bay. There's a rather large area next to the offices where I've seen people wash their car by hand. But yes, ideally this would happen when there's not many people at the self-service.

Assuming it’s not covered with mud, use a 2 gallon pump up yard sprayer.

Wet a section of the car. Spray some Wash & Wax on the wet area, wipe off. I’ve been doing my plane like this for almost 20 years and use the same products on my Tesla.

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0821.jpeg

Last edited:
I have almost exclusively done waterless washes and have been pretty happy with it. I’ve learned from a few mistakes**, but overall my paint looks pretty good.

IMG_3157.jpeg

**I have a few swirls here and there from trying to rub off tenacious bug splats and road splatter using the microfiber cloths, and have since learned to use a spray bottle of soapy water and a brush.

I usually spend 5 minutes a day about 4 days a week to keep it looking like the above. After a rain (and it rains dirt here in the American SW…), I usually have to spend more like 20 minutes using something a little closer, but admittedly still much less meticulous, than any sort of “2 bucket” method.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I just ordered that 2 gallon garden pump, a bunch of microfiber towels, microfiber wash, and some wash & wax. I also have a couple smaller (4.25 gal) buckets with grit guards on the way if I ever need to use the two bucket method.

I have almost exclusively done waterless washes and have been pretty happy with it. I’ve learned from a few mistakes**, but overall my paint looks pretty good.

View attachment 943873

**I have a few swirls here and there from trying to rub off tenacious bug splats and road splatter using the microfiber cloths, and have since learned to use a spray bottle of soapy water and a brush.

I usually spend 5 minutes a day about 4 days a week to keep it looking like the above. After a rain (and it rains dirt here in the American SW…), I usually have to spend more like 20 minutes using something a little closer, but admittedly still much less meticulous, than any sort of “2 bucket” method.
I don't think I've made any swirls yet removing bugs using a microfiber sponge from autozone, though that is MUCH softer than the small microfiber fabrics I use for the windows. Those felt like they could scratch my car easily.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Assuming it’s not covered with mud, use a 2 gallon pump up yard sprayer.

Wet a section of the car. Spray some Wash & Wax on the wet area, wipe off. I’ve been doing my plane like this for almost 20 years and use the same products on my Tesla.

View attachment 943822

View attachment 943820
I finally did this with my car, though I didn't spray the panels with the 2 gal pump sprayer. Instead I did pre-soak and high pressure wash at the self-service bay, then sprayed wash & wax and wiped off with microfiber towels. Maybe this isn't the proper technique, though, and I should have used the pump sprayer. Had to use most of that water for the wheels :/

If the car is covered in dust, or let's say the does not take their car to the car wash at all, would it make more sense to use optimum no rinse instead?

Edit: anyways, for the title of the thread, the smaller 4 gallon or so buckets from chemical guys fit perfectly in the trunk of the model 3. They even fit stacked up

Last edited: