Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now eligible for OLEV charge point install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To charge:
So walk up, if asleep click boot release (under boot lid), if not push charger flap and plug in.

I believe this is correct, for modern vehicles (but not for older Model S).

To unplug:
walk up, click boot release (under boot lid) to wake it up, unplug.

I don't think this is right. The car can be awake and still charging (or still drawing power from the chargepoint to run heating etc. even if charging as such is finished - which is the normal case when parked, awake and plugged in). So you need to command it to stop charging and unlock the plug before you can pull it out. With Model S at least, even after you've unlocked it, if you wait a while before unplugging it will lock up again and resume drawing power.

To charge:
So walk up, if asleep click boot release (under boot lid), if not push charger flap and plug in.

I'm not sure you need that ??

If you walk up and car is in Passive Entry mode it will unlock as you approach ... at which point, presumably, you can just push the charge flap to open it.

But, more likely ("to charge"), you get out of car and immediately want to plug in, at which point the car is still awake so push-flap to open requires no additional help.

Its the Unplug (as @arg has detailed) that I think is the more "annoying" scenario.

Just got a reply from PodPoint

All of installation engineers are fully qualified electricians, they will complete the install and submit the install certificate to our regional managers who are all of the highest standard of Qualified Supervisor (QS), for final sign off.

If the cable needs to be routed under floorboards they will need to be lifted prior to our arrival. The engineer cannot be responsible for lifting and re-instating any floorboards.

Our engineer will only be responsible for installing your Pod Point and our remit does not include the installation of an additional 3-pin plug.

If we are taking the feed directly from your electric meter then we will install the RCBO here in its own enclosure.

So the fact that they cant be arsed to work with customers needs if the install is even slightly complicated is disqualifying them in my eyes straight away. I'd need a separate electrician visit and I certainly don't want to DIY the drilling of my floors for them.

So just Rolec left over, but the smart version has no room for a domestic plug, not sure if the guy would install one next to it.

Only the electrician that does Tesla charges actually visited the house and quoted, the rest of them seem to think its a 30 min job which doesn't fill me with confidence.

not sure if the guy would install [a 13AMP socket] next to it

Just in cse of interest:

I had my sparky fit a Commando (as a fallback and for visitor EV to use. In practice I have used it a lot because my original install was the early Rolec model that had "issues") and an outdoor 13AMP docket pair (to hoover / pressure wash the car etc.)

The Rolec combined Car Charger / 13 AMP certainly looks much smarter than my separate-boxes one :)

Hello all,

I have a sr+ on order hopefully on the boat as we speak. I am looking into charge points to install at home and was wondering what’s going on with these smart charge points? Will dumb chargers be phased out by the end of June? According to rolec this is the case, does anyone know about any other manufacturers?
Thanks

Will dumb chargers be phased out by the end of June?

The OLEV grant will no longer be available for non-smart units after that date. Chargepoints with various features that don't meet the OLEV 'smart' spec will almost certainly continue to be available from many suppliers after that date, including the Tesla unit, you just have to pay full price.