Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 paint protection film issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Tesla paint protection film surely after collecting my Model 3. I had issues at the time I installed it : the instructions show that the upper and lower pieces should be installed against the change of angle and says that it should not over hang any edges.

The problem I had is that about 1cm below the change of angle is a panel seam that has a 1cm strip below the change of panel angle that is lower than the bottom part. What this meant was that the top 1cm of the lower piece of paint protection film didn’t stick properly because the film is too rigid and didn’t flex to fit the shape. I tried various positions, including having the top of the lower piece aligned with the seam rather than the angle change, but this led to the lower edge overhanging and it would stick to the curved lower edge (it wouldn’t conform to the curve). Also, moving the upper piece down to cover the change of angle and have its edge against the seam meant that the part below the change of angle didn’t stick.

I did consider cutting the lower piece smaller - but this would have meant a 1cm strip of exposed paint - plus I didn’t want to fail to follow the instructions.

A couple of weeks later and I’ve just washed my car - and it’s clear that direct is collecting under that lowered strip where the film isn’t sticking.

I emailed the Tesla Shop 3 days ago for advice (presumably need them to tell me the safest way to remove the film without damaging the paint, and thinking they really need to be aware of this issue and provide a replacement film at least for the lower section - with advice about whether to cut it smaller.

Anyone else had this issue? Do all model 3’s have this seam 1cm below the change of angle - it’s not shown in the product photo for the paint protection film.

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3851.jpeg
    IMG_3851.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3850.jpeg
    IMG_3850.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 68
Sorry for the various erroneous autocorrects - I can’t see a way of editing my post.

Clearly it’s dirt (not “direct”) collecting under the film which means I’ll need to remove the film. Potentially £53 wasted if Tesla don’t step up!

My recommendation is not to buy the Tesla model 3 paint protection film - it doesn’t fit properly so dirt gets trapped under the top edge of the lower film, and the Tesla shop haven’t replied to any of my emails, and there doesn’t appear to be any phone number to connect them. Live and learn - having only recently bought the Model 3 I had assumed that the safest place to buy accessories from would be Tesla themselves. Not sure if they outsource their accessory shop to a dodgy third party or whether Tesla themselves have terrible after sales service?