Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs P85D Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I currently own a P85D and put an order in for a Model 3 Performance. I LOVE my P85D and how jumpy it is. I only launch it as a party trick when showing off the car, but it’s a fun “feature” to have. The passing speed is great to have too. Mostly have it on autopilot though as I drive mostly on highways.

Question, does the Model 3 have that type of insane acceleration? Will I miss it? Anyone else switch over from the P85D (non ludicrous) to the 3? Let me know what to expect. Thank you!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Looking at "0-60" times it appears that the two vehicles are similar in 0-60 times (3.1 for the p85d and 3.2 for the model 3 P). Should feel similar, with the exception that the model 3 P is smaller. Less room in the model 3, but it drives better to me. I have never owned a model S but had a few as loaners and its not a car I particularly enjoy driving to be honest. It absolutely feels its size to me.

The model 3 feels much more nimble, even though it is also a very heavy car.
Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster, Model 3, Model S, Model X, Model U, Model Y & more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats!

I may be hallucinating or it could be placebo, but I feel like the throttle mapping on my P3D is more aggressive than my P85DL, meaning that I’m launching quicker and more easily in the P3D in everyday driving. On the P85DL I have to stomp harder on the pedal to achieve the same effect. Again, could be all in my head. P3D is certainly more nimble and fun in general I think.

Hey all,

I currently own a P85D and put an order in for a Model 3 Performance. I LOVE my P85D and how jumpy it is. I only launch it as a party trick when showing off the car, but it’s a fun “feature” to have. The passing speed is great to have too. Mostly have it on autopilot though as I drive mostly on highways.

Question, does the Model 3 have that type of insane acceleration? Will I miss it? Anyone else switch over from the P85D (non ludicrous) to the 3? Let me know what to expect. Thank you!

The P85D's launch from a stop is definitely more violent than the P3D but once they are moving the P3D pulls really hard. The difference can be explained by the motor setup. The P85D has the large rear induction motor which makes that insane torque from 0 RPM, while the P3D's rear Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance motor takes some time to ramp up the torque.

My experience: I own a S90D and P3D- and have driven P85D loaners.

My experience: I took a P100DL out for a test drive before purchasing a 3P+. Similar to @PhaseWhite, I found that the P100DL launch from a standstill was much more violent. The seat slams into you rather than you getting "pushed" into it (if that makes sense). With the 3P+, the initial launch is more subtle then the strong acceleration kicks in. It'll put you back into the headrest but the headrest doesn't slam into you in the same way.

In the end, I wanted a smaller car ... not to mention that I saved $40K.

You should find a showroom nearby and schedule test drives in each car, then decide.

So I test drove an M3P. Y’all were right. P85D=AK47
M3P=water gun
Kidding. But the P85D’s acceleration is much MUCH more violent. The M3P acceleration is much smoother, kind of like a Porsche Macan on steroids. Definitely feels software limited. It left me questioning my Model 3 order. I will weigh the pros and cons over the weekend. Thanks guys! :)

I consistently get 3.1 seconds 0-60 in my P3D- on all seasons. Right off the line it is very smooth and progressive, but you can definitely feel it push you back in your seat. I have zero complaints about the power delivery and neither have my passengers!

Reactions: anthonyj
So I test drove an M3P. Y’all were right. P85D=AK47
M3P=water gun
Kidding. But the P85D’s acceleration is much MUCH more violent. The M3P acceleration is much smoother, kind of like a Porsche Macan on steroids. Definitely feels software limited.

This sums up my experience as well. I had an P85D as a loaner recently and was quite surprised with what happens when you punch it. The seat slams into you. With a Model 3 it pushes you.

...It left me questioning my Model 3 order. I will weigh the pros and cons over the weekend...

You should definitely buy whichever you like best.

The Model 3 is a better all-arounder, with handling to match its acceleration, and a much more solid overall feel. The tech is also much more up to date and of course it charges faster.

The P85D is slightly quicker and has the hatchback.

If that initial whack of acceleration is the key feature for you, then the S is better at that.

Last edited: