Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Std Range + Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not been nerdy enough (or forward thinking ...) to have noted which were 75's on my arrival, but I suspect that 75s are more often charging above taper, and thus there for "quite some time", whereas I am on my way at Taper.

It depends on what you long distance trips involve. All of ours is with a toddler on board, toddlers don't do 'quick' stops, my main concern is been fined for idel charges!! The last stop we did this bank holiday saw our X hit 93% from 30% arrival!!

If I was always doing long trips alone than a LR Model 3 would 100% cut down journey times though.

But realistically for UK use the SR+ Model 3 is fine.

This longest non stop run we do is 160 miles, which even in our 75D X on 22s manages at 70 mph with little worries. The only time I had to stop was in a torrential storm with 50mph wind gusts, even than actually would have arrived with 1% but didn't want to risk it.

I doubt many people could drive a LR Model 3 non stop from 100-0% on UK roads without wanting a break themselves.

48626127143_47d3d8f3a4_z_d.jpg

But realistically for UK use the SR+ Model 3 is fine

Our M3-SR+ has been from "South of a line from Severn to the Wash" :) to Scotland and back.

Non-event as far as charging was concerned ... except for the twit in the MS who parked at the only stall-pair with CCS hose so car had to pair to charge there ... "Model-3 Priority " stickers were out of stock the day they upgraded that one ...

I doubt many people could drive a LR Model 3 non stop from 100-0% on UK roads without wanting a break themselves

That's true, but the difference is speed of charging (bigger battery = faster), and fewer miles needed when you do stop. As you say, useless if you have kids / pets onboard, but for business meetings my pivot-point is "Get to client AND back to Supercharger" so I don't have any charging-hassle delaying my arrival on outbound-leg.

Raven will convert my most common out-of-range business trip to a no-charge one. Currently it is a 15 minute detour off-route ... and a few extra minutes charging for those miles of course. Edge-condition of course, but that will be useful to me; currently I take the ICE to avoid the hassle ... and it will up my smug-index when I stop doing that (actually I will replace ICE with M3 at that point, which will double-increase me to super-smug-bar... :) )

for business meetings my pivot-point is "Get to client AND back to Supercharger" so I don't have any charging-hassle delaying my arrival on outbound-leg.l

For our work meetings far from home we still take the Lexus. It only does 5k a year but as you say when its working time things are different.

A LR RWD Model 3 *might* be ok, but a couple of years ago I did Leicester to Swansea and back in torrential rain with no enroute stops. The Lexus was perfect, sat in lane 3 all the way and got home with still 1/3 if tank left. Even in a raven LR S, it would have been a pain, with needing to stop aleast once if not twice.

torrential rain

Yup, I have had one of those torrential-rain trips in Tesla. What was a comfortable-range trip got me home with under 2%, even though I slowed to 50 MPH the moment that the "predicted arrival" started to alert me to the problem; once slowed to below aero-matters speed the car still had to push the same amount of water out of the way, mile after mile. Tightest I have ever been (including sphincter!) and no wish to repeat that.

For the basis of planning I would say that very wet roads, and slow to 50 MPH, could still need 20% extra juice.

This is with air con and music playing the whole time too. The 91 mile trip involved M25, lovely south London traffic racing off at dozens of lights and country lanes on the way back. I thought a 16 mile variance was really good.

Plus after a week or so you learn how much the regen slows the car down and you can do most of your driving without really touching the brakes. It feels like this helps in town driving.
I think that's the real thing. Learning that regen will give back miles. I guess I'm looking forward to this the most as I engin break a lot and think I will pick it up quik whilst others who only use breaks would realy struggle. Maybe that's how the miles are being calculated with a regen factor involved.

Reactions: drewpost
I guess I'm looking forward to this the most as I engin break a lot

Its a bit different - I came from manual cars and a toe-heel driving style etc. Lift off and the regen is significant, somewhere between engine braking and hard braking ... so perhaps best described as maxing out at "modest braking".

For me, now, the trick is to lift-off at exactly the right moment to slow on Max Regen to right speed for bend/junction. This will be earlier than old-brakes-method in many cases. Either way, I very rarely use the brakes. Car is approaching 100K miles, not even got an advisory on the brake pads yet.

The other thing that is different is that Regen keeps on slowing the car ... so when i am coming to a bend and thinking "bit fast" as I come into the bend the regen is still working, so (mostly!) the speed-in-bend is still fine. Optional Bakes still available if needed :cool:

Once "enough Regen slowing" has happened I can just press the accelerator a bit to feather it - in effect selecting neutral to coast a bit, or a bit of power / bit of Regen to get my deceleration "just right"

Absolute joy to drive compared to ICE.

Also you don't have to do the "There's a straight after this bend, if it is clear I will be able to overtake" so you change down, rev up, get ready ... come round the bend and find something coming and change back up again. All that noise, commotion and driver stress ...

EV = Come around the bend, straight clear? Yup: squirt it ... much MUCH more calm. Plus I only need a handful of yards to get past anything ... even a Ferrari :)

Maybe that's how the miles are being calculated with a regen factor involved.

I would phrase it a bit differently:

If you just drive, and make use of Regen, then you get an overall consumption which is "Favourable" because of Regen. So it just become the normal consumption, (rather than being separately factored into consumption)

When you drive like a loon, braking heavily for corners, then you are throwing away that energy ... using Regen, instead, recovers about 70% (i.e. put-back-in-battery-and-use-it-again is about 70% efficient)