Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trade In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So I place my order on Wednesday the 27th. I've been reading that some have been getting the call for delivery already (i think mostly on the east coast). I've also read that its mostly for those that do not have a trade in. My question is there any truth to this? Is Tesla trying to deliver vehicles without trade ins first? I could do the purchase without a trade in and go with Carvana or Carmax to sell our current car, but it would be more convenient and get the tax savings trading it directly with Tesla. Do you think the trade in value will be equivalent to what Carvana offers? I played with choosing trade in as yes and no, and when I pick no, the 'edit' button disappears........so Im thinking maybe tradeins do delay it.

For what it’s worth, I said I did not have a trade in, which was my true intent at the time. After my service advisor contacted me, I said I still wasn’t sure if I was going to trade-in, it all depended on the price I was offered. He said no problem, and emailed me what I needed to provide him to get a quote and the timing.

You mention a $2,000 tax but the amount of the savings is basically the amount they reduce the purchase price by because of the trade * your sales tax rate. So if they offer you $10,000 for your car and your sales tax rate is 5% (for example) you would save $500 over selling it to CarMax assuming they offered you the same $10,000.

This is the email by service advisor sent me with the info he’d need for the trade-in...

I would be more than happy to get a quote for your trade-in. To submit your trade in request, I need the following information about your current vechile.

• VIN:
• Year:
• Make:
• Model:
• Transmission:
• Trim:
• Exact Mileage on Odometer:
• Exterior color:
• Interior color/material:
• Rear View Camera:
• Sunroof:
• Navigation:
• Premium sound:
• Has the vehicle been in any accidents:
• Have you made any aftermarket modifications:
• Do you own the vehicle outright? If not, how much do you owe on the vehicle?

If possible, please also include the following photos of your vehicle; back of car, front of car, driver’s side, passengers side, odometer, VIN.

having a trade-in has no impact on delivery priority. It takes very little effort on Tesla's part to get quotes for your trade-in car. A couple days later, they will contact you with the best offer they got. At that point, you can decide to move forward or decline the trade offer. It's independent of the readiness of your Model 3.

That doesn't really answer any of the questions I asked. I have heard they don't offer as much, but would it be more than $2000 difference? The tax credit you get with the trade in pays for that difference and then the convenience is better too...
They offer more than trade in for sure. And then you won’t have to deal with any delays in trade in to tesla.

During and after configuration I have always stated that I would be trading in. I still got a car assigned ~36 hours after configuration. Working on the trade-in submission now (their trade-in widget seems to be buggy - may have to do with being on an old version of iOS - attempting to update phone...)

Location seems to be the primary factor. They have stashed X cars who-knows-where around the country, and if you happen to be close and match a config that they have available, you're in. Us "flyover state" residents seem to be winning out, this time. (We're not just for making fun of, you can store your unused vehicle inventory here! :D)