Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 VIN - But what does it really indicate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What EXACTLY does it mean when Tesla updates your account page with the VIN for the Model 3 that was ordered?

I am looking for help to demystify this "achievement" as there are so many unsubstantiated opinions out there, e.g. that VINs are assigned before build/after build/during build/after paint/before paint/just before shipment/ etc. Knowing the truth would narrow down where in the production/assembly/shipping phase my car might be!

VIN number details [VIN number decoder] AND many other great facts about Tesla vehicles:

teslatap.com

VIN numbers are registered - which helps with recalls - then Tesla assigns a VIN to a customers order (configuration) and then this order gets into the manufacturing que and later you are delivered your car.

For many more details search:
vin number registration

Reactions: noicepls
My VIN is in the 11700s. I got the car 8 days ago. They sent me the VIN when they said I would have the car in 3 to 5 weeks. This is great car. Already put over 1k miles on it.

Interesting, it's been over 4.5 weeks from config and I still haven't gotten my VIN. However, when I call Tesla, they tell me I'll still most likely get the car within the 6-week timeframe from config to delivery that was stated when I configured.