Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Penske 26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Last Monday we moved from Sacramento to Talent, OR. My wife drove our Model 3. I got the honor of driving the 26-foot diesel Penske moving truck, nicknamed Behemoth. The journey is all on I-5, except the local roads at each end. It's a bit over 300 miles, and includes long, straight stretches of the Central Valley as well as mountains, including Siskiyou Summit, the highest point on all of I-5 (or so the sign says).

Boy, did I miss the Model 3! Getting the Penske up to 65 mph is a process that takes miles, it seems, where you just think 65 and the Tesla is there. I found myself glancing at the screen that wasn't there for information. Cornering was big and lumbering. I could use engine braking to sort of simulate regen, but only so far. And the mountains just killed it. Downshifted, pedal-to-the-metal and there were times it still couldn't beat 40 mph.

We left together, but my wife beat me to Talent by an hour. Surprise, surprise.

On the way to return the truck in Medford, I stopped at the Chevron in Talent to fill up the diesel. So I patronized a local business in my new town--for what will probably be the only time ever.

It felt soooo good the next day to get back in Wattney and go for a drive!

One small compensation: at a rest area, I got to park next to a load of new Model 3s on their way to their new owners.
IMG_7104.JPG
IMG_7105.JPG

Reactions: RobRain