Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Model 3 SR "Highland" review from an enthusiast's POV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We own and love a "tent built" 2019 SR+. Every version of a 2019 Model 3 was cross-shopped with every available wheel and tire option. Settled on the SR+ on 19 inch wheels for the additional steering feel and responsiveness compared to the other models. Specifically, the weight of the front drive unit and larger battery just took a little something away from the responsiveness of the OG 3. Range was never the promised 240, not even close. More like 218 and now 204 with 12% battery degradation at 70K miles. Surprisingly, the 2019 has never gotten loose or sloppy. The upper control arms squeaked and were replaced, a 12V battery and one change of rubber despite my somewhat hard driving on the car. Haven't had problems with rattles or loose bit noises, although it is naturally a loud car with lots of wind and tire noise.

We also had two friends buy 2023's. A little more refined and a little heavier. Just explained all of this so the reader has a foundation.

The 2024 surprised me with just how different it is:
+ The refinement is what Mercedes had back when it made supremely comfortable cars (like a W210 with better steering and much better power). Got the sense the car would last forever.
+ Interior noise is controlled like the best Audi's. The interior fit and finish (because the LED catches the eye and it is spot on) is an entire class higher.
+ The new steering wheel is smaller and comes easily to hand. I think the blinkers are fine and will be a quick adjustment. Like other things "Telsa" you will become annoyed with cars that require the extra effort to grab a stalk, eventually.
+ The sightlines appear BETTER than the OG M3, which was already an industry best. Just drove a 993 Porsche 911 and even it doesn't have a cowl this low. The visibility has to be the best of any car currently in production making this a supremely easy car to drive and it adds confidence to the operator.
+ Didn't try the audio system, but, the rest of the interior's sound profile is a MUCH better place to start from. The SR does have speakers disabled (compared to the LR). In the OG I find myself trying to adjust music around the wind and tire noise.
+ Surely the LFP battery is a better choice for most people. Should be "infinite" in human terms.
+ Throttle mapping and brakes are just so spot on. No car has ever done this as well as Tesla.

O The car may not be THAT much quieter. It may be that the frequencies are just better managed. Instead of "whAack" think a better-sounding "whump."

- The new car is heavier, but the weight is well managed. While the OG M3 is light enough to be flicked around (and even tease lift throttle oversteer out of it) the new car did not feel like it would like being pushed that hard. The OG is an eager puppy.
- The new car feels a second slower 0 to 60. The OG M3 had a strong enough pull to keep up with most sports cars 0 to 60. This car is more in the league of a M7 GTI. You'll still beat a Camry, but not by car lengths anymore.
- OG M3 owners will keep checking to see if the car is in "chill." Nope, that's all there is unless you pay for more.

In conclusion, this is a very much-improved Model 3 for the vast majority of buyers who would never cross-shop a Mustang GT or something with an BMW M badge with a Model 3 SR. It is worth the $7,000 more than what someone might get a last-gen car for. But enthusiasts might want to spec the 19 inch wheels and put it on some summer tires or just wait for the performance M3.

The "highland" leaves me very eager to try a Model Y with these same updates. We bought a model X for the "grace, space and pace." A Model Y with the same enhancements as this year's M3 might be a really comfortable, useful, honest (simple) and damn near Luxurious Utility Vehicle.

This Model 3 makes me excited for what Tesla is capable of. We know they have the engineering chops. I've never sensed they knew how to build a refined car until now.
1707160884709.png

Image credit - Clean Technica / Tesla

We own and love a "tent built" 2019 SR+. Every version of a 2019 Model 3 was cross-shopped with every available wheel and tire option. Settled on the SR+ on 19 inch wheels for the additional steering feel and responsiveness compared to the other models. Specifically, the weight of the front drive unit and larger battery just took a little something away from the responsiveness of the OG 3. Range was never the promised 240, not even close. More like 218 and now 204 with 12% battery degradation at 70K miles.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but you brought it up. The EPA range is 240. That's not the range that you are going to get at 75 mph. That's just not how the EPA range is calculated.
Move over to US 41 or US 441 and drive for a bit and you should start getting really close to the EPA Blended numbers. Going about 60 mph will get you there.

EVs are different than ICE with EPA range. EVs do much better than ICE in town, but ICE does better than EV on the highway. And since the EPA Blended number are balanced for about 70% city driving, that's why the EPA Blended range is what it is.

No need to be condescending. The car defaults to 225 wh/mi for range calculations. I do not think 240 was ever possible at 55 mph. Of course, there are many variables. My sense is that the newer car with the 192 kw motor (vs 211) and larger capacity battery gets closer to what is spec'd by the EPA and the new car is more aerodynamic.

You can be the range expert if you wish. My coffee consumption and bladder capacity are more range-limiting than the car's battery.

• Funny
Reactions: mborkow
Great review @Proflig8tor. I also had a 2019 M3 SR, it had an odd battery pack if I recall, and yeah, the range was rough. By the time I sold it, daily I would see ~180 miles, and that was a stretch. If I charged to 100% I wouldn't get over 200 typically. I do live at elevation though, and that likely impacted it along with my driving habits (now I own a Plaid, much more appropriate lol).

We ordered a Highland a couple days ago. My wife loved all the features you referenced but I wanted to add probably the most important feature (IMHO) that is overlooked by many enthusiasts: the LFP battery pack. That is a game changer. SR or LR... this makes a big difference, here is why:

Charging to 100% daily is an amazing concept. You get access to your full range whenever you need it. On occasion, with my old M3, I would have to put off some errands because my range was getting low, had I charged to 100% I may have been ok.

Degradation reduction. That is huge. Range loss can take the car that is perfect for you, and make it a struggle.

EV value: I theorize... lol, (fixing nerd glasses) that LFP battery packs will become standard, or another technology will come along soon. This will make current EVs "old tech" and their value will drop. The charging to 100% is more like a gas car, and it will be a concept easier for the typical buyer to adapt to.

Great review @Proflig8tor. I also had a 2019 M3 SR, it had an odd battery pack if I recall, and yeah, the range was rough. By the time I sold it, daily I would see ~180 miles, and that was a stretch. If I charged to 100% I wouldn't get over 200 typically. I do live at elevation though, and that likely impacted it along with my driving habits (now I own a Plaid, much more appropriate lol).

We ordered a Highland a couple days ago. My wife loved all the features you referenced but I wanted to add probably the most important feature (IMHO) that is overlooked by many enthusiasts: the LFP battery pack. That is a game changer. SR or LR... this makes a big difference, here is why:

Charging to 100% daily is an amazing concept. You get access to your full range whenever you need it. On occasion, with my old M3, I would have to put off some errands because my range was getting low, had I charged to 100% I may have been ok.

Degradation reduction. That is huge. Range loss can take the car that is perfect for you, and make it a struggle.

EV value: I theorize... lol, (fixing nerd glasses) that LFP battery packs will become standard, or another technology will come along soon. This will make current EVs "old tech" and their value will drop. The charging to 100% is more like a gas car, and it will be a concept easier for the typical buyer to adapt to.
Since the LFP batteries are less dense, isn’t it only the RWD SR cars that are getting them? And then the Federal $7500 is dropped or cut in half because they are sourced in China?

OT: I grabbed a 2023 LFP RWD SR (with stalks) while the $7500 was still available.

48813661-CCB1-458A-ADF4-968714DCEFE7.png

EDIT: I see the dual-motor long range has a range of 341 and still no incentives. That’s interesting that the Performance (leftovers?) qualify while the LR does not.

Does anyone know if the LR has an LFP battery?

ED279BFE-CD04-4E0E-BDD6-DEDC1DDEFCDF.png

Last edited:
Since the LFP batteries are less dense, isn’t it only the RWD SR cars that are getting them? And then the Federal $7500 is dropped or cut in half because they are sourced in China?

OT: I grabbed a 2023 LFP RWD SR (with stalks) while the $7500 was still available.

View attachment 1016836

EDIT: I see the dual-motor long range has a range of 341 and still no incentives. That’s interesting that the Performance (leftovers?) qualify while the LR does not.

Does anyone know if the LR has an LFP battery?

View attachment 1016837
Yes, the LR does have LFP, which is why they get no incentive. Also for now, the LFP is made in China so yeah, that is why there is no incentive. personally, With all the testing and results of LFP batteries so far, I an fine spending the extra $$ on it. When they are made state-side that will be great! But I need a car now, so...

Glad to hear that Tesla has upped its game! Battery technology still seems "in transition". I bought a 2023 AWD Model Y, Austin Build with 4680 batteries and GigaPress manufacturing in April, 2023. At the time the car was $47K, plus fees/etc, about 3K less than the Long Range. I bought the car because of the Austin build and Giga Press construction, thinking that the newer batteries and build would be an upgrade from the Fremont build 2170 battery pack design.

Sadly, it didn't quite work out that way. The GigaPress may make a better car in theory, but in the real world the GigaPress uses a different door mount design compared to Fremont. The result is that the Austin built cars have less adjustability. My car door doesn't lie flush on the frame, and despite having the service department try to fully correct it, there is still an obvious, but small, irregularity in the frame gap. The result is some added wind/road noise, which is what I wanted to avoid.

The most disappointing part is the 4680 pack. That pack charges far slower than the 2170 pack. Granted, my battery pack is a "Generation 1" design, and the CyberTruck is supposed to be a "Second generation" design, but the pack tapers down very quickly and takes 38 minutes to reach 80%, starting below 20%, when fully conditioned, and about 10 minutes longer if too hot/cold. The LR Model Y takes about 13 minutes less at similar charge levels. That doesn't matter much for around town daily driving, but combined with a shorter overall range, the longer charging time is very noticeable on longer trips. Needless to say, I do have some buyers remorse.

My reason for posting about my model Y in this thread is related to the battery pack. By most accounts the LFP battery pack is a great option, but I wonder if charging times or other issues will become more visible as the cars become more common. I also find it hard to buy a new Model 3 that winds up costing more than the current model Y after accounting for the tax credit differential. Losing the tax credit makes the new Model 3 a great car, but you're definitely paying for the upgrades.

Still, OP - thanks for the detailed comments, and I'm glad you're enjoying the car. Sadly, I'm already pretty upside down on my less than a year old Model Y that isn't even made any more. Hopefully Tesla will get more comfortable with the 4680 battery pack in my model and upgrade the charging speed, as they have done on other models over the years.

I'd welcome a quieter Model Y, with higher quality parts/greater comfort and more, but if the tax credit goes away it may be a challenge to absorb the steep depreciation. It's also going to be interesting to see how crowded the SC locations become when GM, Ford, and a slew of other brands get access to the SC network in less than a year.

The most disappointing part is the 4680 pack. That pack charges far slower than the 2170 pack. Granted, my battery pack is a "Generation 1" design, and the CyberTruck is supposed to be a "Second generation" design, but the pack tapers down very quickly and takes 38 minutes to reach 80%, starting below 20%, when fully conditioned, and about 10 minutes longer if too hot/cold. The LR Model Y takes about 13 minutes less at similar charge levels. That doesn't matter much for around town daily driving, but combined with a shorter overall range, the longer charging time is very noticeable on longer trips. Needless to say, I do have some buyers remorse.

If you want to speed up charging, don't start at 20%. Start near 5%.

Yes, the LR does have LFP, which is why they get no incentive. Also for now, the LFP is made in China so yeah, that is why there is no incentive. personally, With all the testing and results of LFP batteries so far, I an fine spending the extra $$ on it. When they are made state-side that will be great! But I need a car now, so...
The LR does not have a LFP battery. LFP is less energy dense as others mentioned so to get to the larger battery in the LR, it’s a more regular chemistry. It’s just not made in the US either.

I think they also have to switch packs to generate enough juice for the extra performance of the LR car and its second motor. There’s a reason the newer SR is slower than older ones.

The LR does not have a LFP battery. LFP is less energy dense as others mentioned so to get to the larger battery in the LR, it’s a more regular chemistry. It’s just not made in the US either.

I think they also have to switch packs to generate enough juice for the extra performance of the LR car and its second motor. There’s a reason the newer SR is slower than older ones.
Thanks yeah... Just read this, kind-a frustrating. makes purchasing a LR or a SR a bit harder of a decision.

Reactions: FastLaneJB