Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tinting: Any recommendation in Canberra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my side windows and the quarter glass tinted at Solartint Belconnen.
Robert from Solartine Belconnen has done a few Model 3s. Very reasonably priced and I am very happy with the outcome.
BTW let me know how you go with the wrapping. I am also considering a PPF wrap for my car.

Cheers,
Sam

I live in Canberra and am looking to tint a Model 3. I requested a quote from Solartint and received the following response...

Unfortunately we have decided as a branch, not to tint this particular model of car due to the complexity of the design and the high risk of thermal cracking in that rear window. The sides are also a risk due to the electrical components in the door panels. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Can anyone recommend a place that will tint a Model 3 in Canberra?

I'm also now concerned that there are potential issues with tinting a Model 3. Interesting that Tesla does not provide this as an option so it's at the owners risk if something goes wrong. Living in Australia tinting is something you really need done.

I live in Canberra and am looking to tint a Model 3. I requested a quote from Solartint and received the following response...

I'm also now concerned that there are potential issues with tinting a Model 3. Interesting that Tesla does not provide this as an option so it's at the owners risk if something goes wrong. Living in Australia tinting is something you really need done.
Car glass is toughened and heat soaked. Never heard of tinting damaging that type of glass before. Seems more like they find it too difficult but dont want to blame their own incompetance or lack of skill. noting its a directive from the branch only. The comment about electrical elements in door panels isnt helping. Having seen a door without trim, its got the same electrical as any other modern car and has zero relevance to tinting. Once again trying to cover their own lack of skill.
If however you tint laminated or float glass a crack is guaranteed In Australia (there are 1 or 2 products that wont crack glass but not worth using). Such glass types are illegal in cars.
Also worth noting that the manual is silent in this, but not silent on other things that can cause damage, eg unapproved seat covers, car covers, types of cleaner. Tesla are warning owners of common things done to cars that can cause damage. Tinting isnt on that list.

VIP Tinting in Wiluna St Fyshwick did mine, and I had the four side windows done. I used a Groupon voucher at the time - $280, I recall.

Edit: Yep, they are still offering a deal. $129 for two windows - just buy two of them, or call for a deal. Check groupon.com.au and search for car tinting in Canberra.

Last edited:

I did mine with Gungahlin mobile tint. Solar tint told me the same.. there is another mobile tint in calwell I think..

VIP Tinting in Wiluna St Fyshwick did mine, and I had the four side windows done. I used a Groupon voucher at the time - $280, I recall.

Edit: Yep, they are still offering a deal. $129 for two windows - just buy two of them, or call for a deal. Check groupon.com.au and search for car tinting in Canberra.
How did you find the quality of the tint? I got a quote from diamond tints for $700 (for four windows). I'm assuming their tint quality might be better than the VIP tinting but not really sure if the difference in quality is worth the price difference? Any comments/suggestions? Thanks

How did you find the quality of the tint? I got a quote from diamond tints for $700 (for four windows). I'm assuming their tint quality might be better than the VIP tinting but not really sure if the difference in quality is worth the price difference? Any comments/suggestions? Thanks
depends if you're going for looks or heat rejection... VIP doesn't show their IR rejection numbers only VLT where as diamond tints have a table of their products. imo it looks like diamond tint uses a better quality film.

Can't comment on your quote, other than it is more expensive. VIP Tinting used SunX 35% film on my car. The job was well done, and I've had no issues in the last year. In retrospect though I might have gone darker if I could have.