TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model E in 2015???

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AustinPowers, Feb 10, 2014.

1. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

#1 AustinPowers, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Hi all,

I just saw an article in AutoBild Germany (dated Jan 31 2014) that says in a recent interview in Munich Elon had stated Model E would launch in 2015!!!

Rough Translation:

"...The EV visionary also commented on the "Tesla for everybody". That mass market model (Codename "Third Generation" a.k.a. Gen III) would enter the market in 2015 and be roughly 20 percent smaller than Model S. The price would be about half, mainly due to lower battery costs, according to Musk."

That surely must have been a typo?

Or could that be the reason for the new TSLA stock hike as of the last few days?

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

IMO the news that the Model E will be produced in 2015 is too good to be true. Maybe that the beta version of the Model E will be shown in 2015.

3. pwillemse78

pwillemse78 Member

They probably mean the X

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Confusion.
    Model X will come (supposedly) early 2015.
    Model E's design concept may come early 2015.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yeah, I'd agree something is off there. Volume production of the X won't come until spring 2015, so I can't see them releasing Gen 3 in the same year.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Also the cell pricing hasn't fallen enough to produce the Model E at the price points Tesla would like to sell it at, besides that, they simply don't have a supply of the cells to sell a mass market EV (Yet)

7. AustinPowers

Sad, but I thought so too. It just sounded too good to be true/realistic.

OTOH, finally seeing a first Gen III/Model E prototype next year would be great as well.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Sloppy reporting, or maybe we give the benefit of the doubt and say something was lost in translation.

Do a forum search on "giga factory" and you'll find plenty of discussion about the (Musk/Tesla confirmed) fact that there's not enough battery supply in the world to support a mass market launch. There's a good thread here (How-to-solve-the-giga-battery-factory-issue) which discusses various possibilities but Elon himself has talked about building the factory. That factory is a couple of years away at the very earliest.

The Nummi factory is still 90% empty space and it would take a considerable amount of time to equip it for mass market Gen III production; never mind the capital outlay that Tesla doesn't have the cash for yet. Let's not forget the thousands of skilled employees that Tesla would need to recruit to get that production running.

Elon also recently said (it was his European tour but I forget where) that Tesla is full focus on making sure Model S stays the best car on the market; Model X is sliding backwards and indicators are that general production of the X will be spring 2015. Musk has also said that they are still working on design iterations of the X so the chances of showing a Gen III prototype next year are almost certainly zero.

Summary: the batteries aren't available, there's no chance of getting the Gen III production line installed and the design team is already fully occupied.

Sorry, we should probably change the thread title.

9. AustinPowers

Well, they were certainly not talking about Model X, they were definitely talking about Gen III.
    Perhaps it was a typo and meant to say 2018 instead of 2015.

10. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I am pretty sure the reveal will be Jan 2016 at Detroit Auto show if I recall correctly. Perhaps they meant that ....

11. AustinPowers

Perhaps. The only thing that puzzled me was the wording of the original quote "komme bis 2015 auf den Markt", which means "will have entered the market by 2015", not "will be shown at an auto show". It literally means that you can buy the car (not pre-order). That combined with the fact that said quote was supposedly from Elon himself makes me think that in the end they just got the year wrong.

12. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

There is just no excuse for getting the date wrong when reporting on future car models.

13. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Where do I send my deposit?

14. TD1

TD1 Member

I think the Model E will be shown early 2015.
    The reason is that the Model X was shown first in february 2012 that was way before the production for the Model S started and it will take three years from presentation till mass production of the Model X, although they use the same base as the Mode S.

So if the Model E will be shown in Q1 2015, a mass production for 2018 would be reasonable.
    Showing the Model E in 2017 would mean that mass production would start in 2019/20 Tesla would loose to much momentum that way.

Panasonic showed that it took them only 18 Months to add a new a production line for the Li-Ion Cells.
    So 3-4 Years should be enough to build a new factory with new production lines.

15. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Excellent point!

16. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

I read several days ago that the Gigafactory for Tesla will give it the needed foundation to build the Model E, but the factory will not be completed for 3 years.

17. Tasdevil

Tasdevil Member

I think tesla should release gen3 just as they have done with the modelS. I'm Australian and I'm still waiting for the S to arrive here. I would hate to see the gen3 delayed because tesla want to release it everywhere at the same time. If they can supply model X and S' to the world surely they can also do gen3 to the USA.