Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S "60 kWh" on eBay is actually 40 kWh - BEWARE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ipdamages

Roadster Sport 835
Sep 25, 2011
Las Vegas Area
Tesla : Model S 60 kWh 4 Door Fast Back in Tesla | eBay Motors

I have exchanged texts with the seller and the car looks to be for real, but as can be deduced from the VIN, it is a 40 kWh. The seller has also referred to it as a 60 kWh with a 160-mile range. In other words, a 40 kWh.

If it were a 60 it would be a great price, but it isn't. It's still a pretty good price for a 40, but I have my doubts about whether the buyer could actually get the tax incentives, so not such a good price after all.

Interesting. You can only take tax credits if you are the first person to title the car. The listing does say that it has not been titled and Tesla will put it in your name. That is great, but my understanding is that Tesla will not allow that with 40kWh cars - they will only deliver 40kWh to people that had them reserved before they canceled that model.

So perhaps that explains the price and the 60kWh listing. Tesla will upgrade it to 60kWh (and charge the appropriate fee!) before letting anybody else title it. If a 40kWh is what you want, you will have to find a used one and not get any tax credits.

Almost bought this, had been re-listed multiple times on eBay. Didn't even realize this was a 40kWh version, the carfax I tried to pull wouldn't pull any info. The guy is the CEO of some out-sourcing called SupportSave but the whole deal with titling in your name was real shady so I didn't move forward with it. I had posted a thread about getting tax credits but I called Tesla (not that they are experts) and they said it wouldn't fly since revenue was already recognized by Tesla.