Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello , what gives option Highway Autopilot , for AP1 car?

The original purchaser of the car had to pay for it. Or if the car was sold, some later owner may have purchased it.
To see what options a car has, one way is to press the Controls button on the lower left corner of the MCU, then select Autopilot. There are various options that can be selected. Any option that is grayed out and unavailable is probably not paid for.

I understand that , that you must purchase it , my car have self driving autopilot , but i don't see 'highway autopilot' option enabled , so that's why such question occurred , maybe 'highway autopilot' , gives some advantages .

I understand that , that you must purchase it , my car have self driving autopilot , but i don't see 'highway autopilot' option enabled , so that's why such question occurred , maybe 'highway autopilot' , gives some advantages .
There's no such thing as highway autopilot in Tesla's. There's only autopilot or no autopilot. In later years you have more advanced features associated with autopilot but at no point did Tesla introduce anything called highway autopilot.

Reactions: Seawind300
There's no such thing as highway autopilot in Tesla's. There's only autopilot or no autopilot. In later years you have more advanced features associated with autopilot but at no point did Tesla introduce anything called highway autopilot.

My car has highway autopilot...

C96CA1CE-D8A1-40CB-AB80-7F00EF718EAD.jpeg

My 2016 didn't have the HIghway Autopilot or Summon options listed on screen when purchased (used, from Tesla, last year), but today I just noticed that they're now showing, but with "Beta" caveat. I've just switched the selector icons to On for both. Presumably will need to drive sufficient distance for calibration? Interestingly, on the Tesla support page, it says "Cars built between September 2014 and October 2016 include one camera and less-powerful radar and ultrasonic sensors. For these cars, we do not offer a retrofit to the newest Autopilot hardware." I tried to get Autopilot added on at the dealer after I purchased, but was told as much (it wasn't possible to add any level of Autopilot, at least per the person I spoke with).

Erik

My 2016 didn't have the HIghway Autopilot or Summon options listed on screen when purchased (used, from Tesla, last year), but today I just noticed that they're now showing, but with "Beta" caveat. I've just switched the selector icons to On for both. Presumably will need to drive sufficient distance for calibration? Interestingly, on the Tesla support page, it says "Cars built between September 2014 and October 2016 include one camera and less-powerful radar and ultrasonic sensors. For these cars, we do not offer a retrofit to the newest Autopilot hardware." I tried to get Autopilot added on at the dealer after I purchased, but was told as much (it wasn't possible to add any level of Autopilot, at least per the person I spoke with).

Erik
Either I don't understand what you're saying or the person that was talking to you had no idea what they were talking about. If your car has autopilot hardware it's capable of autopilot. Not all of them had it enabled but either way you can pay the upgrade fee to have it enabled via a software update. What would be the point of having a car with autopilot hardware that can't do autopilot? That doesn't even make sense. Whoever you were talking to had no idea what they were talking about.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder now... It seems like maybe it wasn't activated, or didn't come standard with the model (it's early 2016, so doesn't have the additional cameras, and didn't have blindspot monitoring). And when I first got it, there weren't the options (see picture) that are there now. Wondering if maybe this is beta just because it's a new effort to add this to early 2016 hardware?

E

20200712_124708.jpg

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder now... It seems like maybe it wasn't activated, or didn't come standard with the model (it's early 2016, so doesn't have the additional cameras, and didn't have blindspot monitoring). And when I first got it, there weren't the options (see picture) that are there now. Wondering if maybe this is beta just because it's a new effort to add this to early 2016 hardware?

E

View attachment 563880
Important distinction: ALL Autopilot is in "beta" testing still. It's also important that this be a reminder that you're beta testing something where lives are on the line. It's also a driver side & not a replacement. Using it with those facts at the front of your mind will help to keep you safe while using it.

You have Autopilot convenience features activated & this is the highest level of Autopilot that exists on AP1. You may want to watch some demo videos online to help you understand how it works as it appears whomever sold you the car didn't do you any favors in terms of explaining things.

Summary: you're good, no need to stress.