Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S burnout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how many people have turned off TC just to try out smoking the tires. If you have a P85 will it smoke the tires by just hitting the accelerator? I'm hearing a clunk noise in my drivetrain when slowly accelerating/decelerating so I haven't tried yet. Just curious how easy it is.

Hmm. Something is wrong with my car then. Re-torqued the rear wheels based on a recommendation and took the car for a test drive. The car can barely chirp the wheels and the "clunk" is still there. Guess its time for a visit to the service center...

It's very easy if you turn off the traction control. It will only chirp and go if it's turned on.

It's very easy if you turn off the traction control. It will only chirp and go if it's turned on.

I had traction control off and it barely chirped the tires. It still pulls hard, but based on what everyone has said here and the videos I have seen on YouTube there is something very wrong with my car. I called Tesla and am waiting for SC to call back (mainly for the clunk noise, but will bring this up now as well).

How is your 0-60 time, has it decreased? Maybe the TC isn't actually being disabled even though it says it is.

I just got the car, so I really can't tell if it is slower. Good question about TC not actually turning off. It states that it is, but since it barely chirps which is basically the same as with TC on it may not be disengaging. Since I'm hearing a clunk with slight acceleration/deceleration I'm going to just have the SC look at it for both problems. Based on reading responses in the forum, I may be in for a drive unit replacement...

Hodginator:
It also depends a lot on your road surface. On grippy asphalt, I can hardly get a chirp from my P85 tires even w/ TC-Off. In a concrete-surfaced parking garage, or on a drag-strip's concrete burnout lane, i can easily leave 50-ft long rubber-marks, spin the tires to shreds, & squirrel sideways all-over, w/TC-Off.

Try an unused level of a concrete parking garage w/ TC-Off, and I'll be astonished if you can't scare yourself with the burnout and hooligans. If you can't approach this, then yeah, you should check w/ your SC re available power.

On a slick concrete surface, a P85 w/ TC-Off should truly scare the **** out of you wrt to wheel-spin..