Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Headlight "Base" vs "Up-Level"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2017 Model S 75 equipped with the standard 'Base' headlights. Unfortunately, the LED strip on my headlight brow has burnt out, prompting me to consider replacing both headlights. I'm exploring the possibility of upgrading to the 'Up-Level' headlights and wondering if this swap would be compatible without encountering any issues. Can I seamlessly install the 'Up-Level' headlights in place of the 'Base' ones?

I believe the difference is that the up-level headlights adjust the beam angle with suspension raising and lowering, thus adding 1 or 2 extra signals. Is your 75 a coil suspension? Also, since the 2017 use LIN/CAN signals for the headlights it may throw an error.
Thank you for your response. I have the coil suspensions. I watched a video on YouTube where someone installed a "Base" headlight in their "Up-Level" model, and it seemed to work fine. It appears he wasn't aware of the differences between the "Base" and "Up Level" models since they're not immediately obvious. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted installing "Up-Level"s instead of the original "Base" and, if so, whether they encountered any issues or errors.

Upvote 0