Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TBrownTX

Dec 25, 2020
Dallas, TX
I could not find a specific answer via search, so I'm asking here. I have a '21 M3P and the newer Model 3 FOB. Does anyone know if it's compatible with the refreshed Model S? I don't hardly use the FOB and was going to sell it, but if it's compatible, I'd like to keep it for the rare occasion it comes in useful.

I believe the answer is no, the Model 3 fob is not compatible with your Model S.

If you go to the Tesla on-line store (Shop) and search for "fob" you will see three different FOBs will be shown. One for Model 3/Y, one for Model S, and one for Model X.

If you then open the page for the Model 3 fob, it will do a compatibility check against your vehicles. If you're not logged into your account already, there will be a link at the top to log into your account to check if this is compatible. If you're already logged in, then there will be a message saying if it's compatible or not.

When I go into the Model 3 fob page, it gives me a warning message saying it is not compatible with any of my cars, with the only car linked to my account being a 2023 MS LR.

Reactions: TBrownTX
The model 3 keyfob does actually work. I used one for a while on my S without issue.

However, the S key fob has UWB + Bluetooth instead of just bluetooth. UWB does make a huge difference with the phone key. With the fob, I'm not sure it makes as much of a difference since even the 3 key fob was quite reliable.

Reactions: TBrownTX
The model 3 keyfob does actually work. I used one for a while on my S without issue.

However, the S key fob has UWB + Bluetooth instead of just bluetooth. UWB does make a huge difference with the phone key. With the fob, I'm not sure it makes as much of a difference since even the 3 key fob was quite reliable.
Thank you terranx! That makes sense and I appreciate the information.