Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85D for sale, 26,000 km (16,100 miles) all upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know the feasibility of a US citizen buying a Canadian Tesla and then bringing it into the US - both for government compliance and Tesla warranty purposes?

Yup - totally doable. I almost bought a P85d last year from Toronto. My P85dl CPO order of 8 weeks came in finally and took it instead. That said - have the owner contact tesla and they will take 1-2 days to email the owner a signed affidavit to stating it adheres to all US safety laws etc. and put you on the entire email chain with tesla (that’s how we did it). Yes you can import Canadian Tesla’s into US without issue, but you can’t export US to Canada :/. Bad double standard there IMO. All original warranty stays with vehicle.

Couple issues: money transfer - it’s out of country, have to do intl. wire and convert to Canadian dollars which has gained value as of recent months - means it’ll cost you more and you have to trust the seller a whole lot to finish the deal. 2nd Canadians taxes are higher than for us (well 6% in my state), something like 10-15% for them. Just like here that tax is offset by trade in to a dealer on his/her next purchase, so they might price higher according to this loss (I know not your issue - but my seller realized this after the fact and wanted to split the loss with me).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
Yup - totally doable. I almost bought a P85d last year from Toronto. My P85dl CPO order of 8 weeks came in finally and took it instead. That said - have the owner contact tesla and they will take 1-2 days to email the owner a signed affidavit to stating it adheres to all US safety laws etc. and put you on the entire email chain with tesla (that’s how we did it). Yes you can import Canadian Tesla’s into US without issue, but you can’t export US to Canada :/. Bad double standard there IMO. All original warranty stays with vehicle.

Couple issues: money transfer - it’s out of country, have to do intl. wire and convert to Canadian dollars which has gained value as of recent months - means it’ll cost you more and you have to trust the seller a whole lot to finish the deal. 2nd Canadians taxes are higher than for us (well 6% in my state), something like 10-15% for them. Just like here that tax is offset by trade in to a dealer on his/her next purchase, so they might price higher according to this loss (I know not your issue - but my seller realized this after the fact and wanted to split the loss with me).

I can settle on a US dollar price if the buyer is from the USA. In Ontario tax is 13% however if the buyer is from the USA I thought the tax would not apply, I will research this. I'm extremely attached to my car, love it and don't mind not selling, but it seems silly when I consider how infrequently I use it.

No it doesn’t apply , but you loose 13% trade in tax credit for difference on your next vehicle if you sell privately versus dealer trade in. Which if trading in say a P85d for a P100d to tesla could be $8k-10k tax savings.
I'm selling as I don't need a car. If I needed one, this is the only car I would drive. Tesla encouraged me to trade in for a P100d but perhaps they were also interested because my car is unique.

Yeah I love my p85dl with all options (including upgraded 2nd row/rear seats that they only shipped as an option for 4-5 months). I’m sure a p100d is a tad faster, extra 40-50 miles range, but outside of that and AP2 down the line features - no other reason I’d want to upgrade. Happily keep my current car and would recommend anyone to seriously consider a P85d.

That said - am keeping an eye out for a X 75d or higher in the right price range for wife - no rush and waiting for a those 3 year off lease units to start popping up later this year / early next year.

Yeah I love my P85DL with all options (including upgraded 2nd row/rear seats that they only shipped as an option for 4-5 months). I’m sure a P100D is a tad faster, extra 40-50 miles range, but outside of that and AP2 down the line features - no other reason I’d want to upgrade. Happily keep my current car and would recommend anyone to seriously consider a P85D.

My thoughts exactly. We LOVE our 2015 P85DL+ with sportier Plus Suspension all options (including upgraded 2nd row/rear NextGen "Recaro" seats that they only shipped as an option for 4-5 months)...especially after Tesla gave us a P100DL for a 24-hour "Extended Test Drive" about a year ago. Neither my wife nor I liked the "softer" suspension, missing rear NextGen (Recaro) seats, and refreshed nosecone, and HUGE $$$ to "upgrade". Only thing I did like was the (non discontinued) ventilated front seats.

When Tesla offers a Fully Autonomous PXXXD we might consider giving up our amazing P85DL+

I had virtually the same car with serial number only slightly off. Black exterior, grey next-gen and all options. It was a blast! I also had the sport suspension - I think this is one of the best cars for the money out there.

As for values... I had 2 friends sell very similar cars and both sold closer to $95k - $100k.

• Love
Reactions: Chickadee
That's great news! The Plus Suspension makes your Tesla a bit of a Unicorn since there weren't a lot of P85D+ cars made...
All P85D's made between introduction (Oct 2014?) till May or June 2015 had it (it had to be ordered before Tech Package disappeared in April), all the ones between then and P90D introduction (later that year) didn't. Unless production picked up after June, about half of the P85D's have it, so you not sure it's such a Unicorn.

A very good indicator is if the P85D has a tech package, it has a + suspension (technically it was possible to order a P85D without tech package, so the reverse may not be true).

PS) Full disclosure, I have one and love it.

• Informative