Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tow hook?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a loaner model S (MY 2018) last week and there was a big tow hook in the frunk, mine (MY 2014) has no such thing. Is it just missing or did MY 2014's not come with a screw in tow hook?

I guess if it should be there I'll have to hunt for one. Thanks

@bart_dood Did you ever find it? Mine didn't seem to come with one either (2015 85D). I'm not sure how to look underneath the carpet in the frunk without pulling out the entire frunk. When I watched the mobile ranger perform the power steering recall, he pulled out the frunk and it was all one piece.

@bart_dood Did you ever find it? Mine didn't seem to come with one either (2015 85D). I'm not sure how to look underneath the carpet in the frunk without pulling out the entire frunk. When I watched the mobile ranger perform the power steering recall, he pulled out the frunk and it was all one piece.
I believe your vintage MS should have a molded recess for the tow hook under the frunk carpet lining. It's easy to remove the lining - first just pull up the rubber gasket that surrounds the entire frunk opening - it comes off (and re-installs) easily. Then just lift out the frunk carpet, no need to pull out the plastic frunk tub itself.

Note that newer MS do not have the tow hook stored under the frunk carpet; check the UMC bag in the trunk. Note also that when they refreshed the MS front nose, they lengthened the tow hook itself by a couple inches, so the newer hook didn't fit into the older UMC bags - not sure if that was ever remedied with a new style UMC bag... I think maybe also at that point that's when the frunk indentation to store the hook disappeared.

more info and some photos in this old thread

Reactions: AronAZ and shred86
Thanks! I pulled out the carpet and unfortunately, the tow bar is missing. Just sent an email to the delivery agent who helped me a few months ago. Hopefully they’ll be able to give me one. It’s one of those things I hope I never have to use but would hate to not have it when needed.