Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red towing indicator after unhooking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, i have successfully towed a horsebox with my model y for a while now but this morning whilst driving to work noticed the red caravan indicator showing on screen. I had unhooked last night so was not towing this morning so nothing connected. Its usually a blue indicator that displays whilst towing and then goes out when the load is unhooked so was wondering what is causing this.
I got into work and did a soft reset but its still showing on screen.
Do you think i will have to reconnect and then disconnect to reset the red towing warning symbol??

Any help would be appreciated. By the way towing is amazing, yes it uses about twice the battery but then my old diesel consumpion was double as well!!

Thanks

When you say 'left the hitch in place' you mean is the towing hitch still connected to the vehicle? If this is what you are asking then yes it is but i have left it on the car before with nothing attached and there is no red indicator on the screen, the blue one simply goes out when the load is disconnected, but not in this case it seems!!

Upvote 0
From the manual:

“When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage.”

So if the light goes out by itself when disconnecting the electrical connection, that is not what is supposed to happen.

The Red Light is when the car detects a faulty electrical connection for the trailer lights. The manual suggests turning trailer mode off and see if the problem goes away: Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode

Upvote 0