Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S trade for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to see if this is a right price for my MS, want to trade it for a Model X 90
2014 Model S 85
31800 miles
FREE SUPERCHARGING
Smart Air Suspension
Brand new rear motor installed by Tesla
Brand new windshield installed by Tesla
Brand new rear door handle installed by Tesla
3M Crystaline tint all around (20% back, 50% front sides, 70% windshield, 90% sunroof)
High fidelity sound system
Clean history
Grey leather seats (few spots, nothing crazy)
Tech package
Premium lighting
AbstractOcean lights (doors and license plate)
CF spoiler
PRE AP! PRE FACELIFT!!

According to KBB my car worth around $50k

I'm in BayArea.

I only trying to see if there is a way to trade mine for MX?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 2.47.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 2.47.41 PM.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 3.50.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 3.50.26 PM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 7.04.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 7.04.24 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 43
KBB isn't the best website to use when gauging used Tesla values. I think that you may be shocked at how much your pre-AP vehicle is worth on the open market (not in a good way).

Look at similar vehicles on "eBay, Cars.com, this site, Only Used Tesla, etc..

Are you willing to put in cash to offset the huge price delta between the cars?

If it - I think you’ll find the market isn’t where you think it is.

Cheapest x models on the market are around $56k and 2014 s85d are listed for $42k.

You’ll likely need to pony up $$$ before anyone is willing to make a deal.

With all due respect, you need to do more research. Nobody in their right mind would pay $50k for a pre-AP1 vehicle at this point. Start by looking at Tesla's used inventory and realize that they give you a 2 year or 4 year warranty with that, so that you need to undercut them. Pre-AP1 is NOT a benefit and as time progresses, the value will decline even further. If you want to sell today, I'd say you'd have to market it at around $32k or so. Just my objective opinion.

The way I have to convince myself to keep my sanity is. That the current values serve a dual purpose. Its current market values are helping that many more people to assist in the world's transition to sustainable energy. Unfortunately, the early adopters have taken the blunt (yes it's blunt not brunt) of the depreciation hit. But in the end, we will all benefit from this. I can't wait to see what the next 2 years will look like in the EV segment. Or BEV like Toyota seems to call it.

The way I have to convince myself to keep my sanity is. That the current values serve a dual purpose. Its current market values are helping that many more people to assist in the world's transition to sustainable energy. Unfortunately, the early adopters have taken the blunt (yes it's blunt not brunt) of the depreciation hit. But in the end, we will all benefit from this. I can't wait to see what the next 2 years will look like in the EV segment. Or BEV like Toyota seems to call it.

Yep. I can imagine how much it sucks to have such large depreciation. The problem is that outside of California and parts of the West Coast, most people can't really afford much beyond mid $30k at the absolute most. The most successful people are able to afford to buy the Teslas new. You combine that with the fact that out-of-warranty repairs can be quite daunting and it means that a pretty harsh depreciation down to upper $20ks and low $30ks.

Then, the question becomes "how low will it go" and that'll depend a lot on the next several years and whether battery packs are repairable instead of replaceable, whether the eMMC issue gets worked out (more than a 3-4 year life) and whether the latest revision of Drive Units can hold their mileage without needing to be replaced. If costs are controlled, it shouldn't drop much further as more people can justify getting a used, out of warranty Tesla. If not, then I wouldn't be surprised to see pre AP1 Teslas changing hands frequently at well less than $20k and even $15k for smaller batteries or those with issues.

Yep. I can imagine how much it sucks to have such large depreciation. The problem is that outside of California and parts of the West Coast, most people can't really afford much beyond mid $30k at the absolute most. The most successful people are able to afford to buy the Teslas new. You combine that with the fact that out-of-warranty repairs can be quite daunting and it means that a pretty harsh depreciation down to upper $20ks and low $30ks.

Then, the question becomes "how low will it go" and that'll depend a lot on the next several years and whether battery packs are repairable instead of replaceable, whether the eMMC issue gets worked out (more than a 3-4 year life) and whether the latest revision of Drive Units can hold their mileage without needing to be replaced. If costs are controlled, it shouldn't drop much further as more people can justify getting a used, out of warranty Tesla. If not, then I wouldn't be surprised to see pre AP1 Teslas changing hands frequently at well less than $20k and even $15k for smaller batteries or those with issues.

The 85kwh battery packs are worth roughly 20k for the modules and up until now almost all of those modules are coming from wrecked cars. We're nearing the floor on used prices before people start to buy perfectly good cars for the battery pack and the rest is sold off for parts.

This a 2014 S85 is worth 30-35k at the moment and falling.

More to the point the difference from an ‘14 S to a ‘16 X would be $30-40k, about $10k per year and then $10k upgrade to an X. It doesn’t matter much what the perceived value is for each it is the difference between the two in the end. The OP probably realizes or at least should realize he would have to kick in more than $30k and may be willing to do that.