Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 yr-old Model 3 smoother than brand new Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 is smoother than my brand new Model X. The vibration occurs at steady speeds beginning at about 45mph and becoming more pronounced as the speed increases to the about 58mph. It's not subjective -- I've documented the vibration using a vibration-meter app.

Consequently, I avoid driving the X and have less than a 1,000 miles on it after about 2 months of ownership.

I'm confident Tesla will take care of the problem. In any event, the plan is to trade-in the X on a Cybertruck in 2025.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe
My 2018 Model 3 is smoother than my brand new Model X. The vibration occurs at steady speeds beginning at about 45mph and becoming more pronounced as the speed increases to the about 58mph. It's not subjective -- I've documented the vibration using a vibration-meter app.

Consequently, I avoid driving the X and have less than a 1,000 miles on it after about 2 months of ownership.

I'm confident Tesla will take care of the problem. In any event, the plan is to trade-in the X on a Cybertruck in 2025.
Wheels were balanced by a Tesla Service Center -- did not help the problem at all.

Wheels were balanced by a Tesla Service Center -- did not help the problem at all.

That's interesting...I have some overall vibration on acceleration (not shudder/half shaft related) and Tesla attributed it to a poorly roadforce scoring set of tires (Goodyear's). Basically 2 of my 4 tires are not optimally round or whatever, and that's a manufacturing thing on Goodyear. I'm prob going to get those Ev specific hankook ions everyone is talking about next.

I agree. I have a 2 year old model 3 that drives smoother than my 1 month old new model x. The X vibrates, has more rattles, and I can actually hear the whine from the motor at low speeds (not the acoustic ped. sound). My model 3 barely rattles, does not vibrate during hard accelerations and has no motor whine