Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X rear-view camera & rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody,

Has anyone figured out a fix to the rearview camera getting all screwed up when it rains?

I use the camera for blind spots while driving because I feel the car doesn't have a viable solution at the moment. You either have to turn and look (the traditional way) or use this rearview camera. It's a pity that despite the car being loaded with cameras all around, doesn't utilize them to give visual cues to drivers.

I had suggested to Tesla via twitter to turn the camera on automatically when someone puts on a turn signal and turn it off when the turn-signal goes off, unless of course the camera was already on the screen, then just dont do anything.

Anyway, I am thinking of putting some kind of water repellent (rainx?) on the camera lens.... any suggestions?

rearview camera.jpg

That's a nasty looking camera view. Somehow I have never noticed that. Then again, my last trip from the GigaFactory all the way to North Carolina and back (over 6,000 mile trip) it NEVER rained on the car even once. Gee, that will never happen again I bet.

As for the cameras being shown on the display for a brief time when pressing a turn signal, that is being evaluated. Many people (including me) suggested that over the past. Good to know other people are thinking the same thing, but if implemented, it better be a user selectable feature or else some people will complain about the popups.

Now that I think of it, once the rain stops there are no water spots on the lens, and it shows a crisp clean image. so it might very well be water droplets hanging off the lip that hangs over the camera ... Whatever it is, it really makes it very difficult to see anything.

I agree with you on the "optional" popup-camera-when-turn-signal-is-on , since there is NOTHING that everyone likes :) I saw the feature in a Honda Civic that my friend drives and it seemed pretty handy. I mean come to think of it, we have so many cameras ! better make use of 'em for the blind spot.

Now that we are talking about making it optional, it would be even better if one can select the side camera they want to popup (rear, the one on the middle column, or the front-fender one). I believe all 3 of them will show the desired area (blind spot).

Now that we are talking about making it optional, it would be even better if one can select the side camera they want to popup (rear, the one on the middle column, or the front-fender one). I believe all 3 of them will show the desired area (blind spot).

The pillar camera mostly points forward as you know. By the time you would see a car on that camera, you would likely see it right beside you. The fender camera is best for blind spot.

And maybe that is why I have never seen a bad view in the camera. It doesn't rain up here that much and when it does, it is probably dry by the time I notice :)

Has anyone figured out a fix to the rearview camera getting all screwed up when it rains? I use the camera for blind spots while driving
As do I, and I agree that often when it rains the rear view camera image is essentially useless. It has surprised me that Tesla has yet to implement some kind of fix for this; not something that can be added to cars already produced, but a manufacturing change. A tiny air compressor that could direct a jet of high pressure air on the camera lens surface as needed might solve the problem.

Nissan has a great feature to stop this, at the top of the lens is a washer jet that washes off the camera every so often I can say that in many years of driving in the UK with crap wet weather I never once had an issue with rear camera, always great image thanks to the washing jet.

I do miss that from my Nissan days and 360 birds eye view of car :( o well I have fart noise and fire place so I’m happy

Snow blocks the rear view as well. I tried rainex, good for a short time eventually the road dirt hangs on the camera once the rain drops/ snow goes away. I have conditioned myself to wipe the camera lens before I get into the car , again it lasts for a while depending on the weather conditions.

Snow blocks the rear view as well. I tried rainex, good for a short time eventually the road dirt hangs on the camera once the rain drops/ snow goes away. I have conditioned myself to wipe the camera lens before I get into the car , again it lasts for a while depending on the weather conditions.

Snow will block the front view resulting in loss of Auto Pilot and Adaptive Cruise Control! The error message was about the radar and the snow was only for a few minutes without sticking anywhere noticeable, so I didn't suspect the cameras. After stopping to check I found they are in a location where they are protected from debris a bit but in a cubby hole that catches snow. A few wipes and it was working again.

I have found the back up camera gets pretty blotted in the rain. It would be good to do something about this.

Nissan has a great feature to stop this, at the top of the lens is a washer jet that washes off the camera every so often I can say that in many years of driving in the UK with crap wet weather I never once had an issue with rear camera, always great image thanks to the washing jet.

I do miss that from my Nissan days and 360 birds eye view of car :( o well I have fart noise and fire place so I’m happy

My Bolt EV has this features and works very well to clean the two rear cameras, I really miss this on my MX. The 360 birds eye view as well.
If you want to be inventive you could always Tee off the front wiper's washer line and run it back to the rear camera using something like what David77 did for the front...
Model X Front Windshield Wiper Blades Not User Serviceable?
It would take a bit of tubing & small pump to run it back there but it could be done with off the shelf parts. It would kick on any time you use the front wiper washer to clean the windshield which is usually the same time the camera is getting dirty.

Hmm, I feel a summer project coming on....need to figure out the tubing route.

My Bolt EV has this features and works very well to clean the two rear cameras, I really miss this on my MX. The 360 birds eye view as well.
If you want to be inventive you could always Tee off the front wiper's washer line and run it back to the rear camera using something like what David77 did for the front...
Model X Front Windshield Wiper Blades Not User Serviceable?
It would take a bit of tubing & small pump to run it back there but it could be done with off the shelf parts. It would kick on any time you use the front wiper washer to clean the windshield which is usually the same time the camera is getting dirty.

Hmm, I feel a summer project coming on....need to figure out the tubing route.

The camera is on the door. That's going to be a lot harder than if it were fixed I think.