Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X refresh winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I found a set of OEM 265/50/r19 winter wheel and tire set on fb market place. I have the 2022 model x plaid and was wondering if they’d be compatible? Tried searching and couldn’t find an answer. I’m assuming these are from the model x prerefresh.

I had the same question and ended up going with 20's. I bought older 20" rims and put new tires and TPMS on them.

I only saved $700 or so over the new ones from Tesla, but I actually like some of the older rims better, and got to be picky about which tire to choose (I went with Nokians, which were amazing yesterday in 2" of snow/ice/slush).

Reactions: Justjim
I had the same question and ended up going with 20's. I bought older 20" rims and put new tires and TPMS on them.

I only saved $700 or so over the new ones from Tesla, but I actually like some of the older rims better, and got to be picky about which tire to choose (I went with Nokians, which were amazing yesterday in 2" of snow/ice/slush).
I bought slipstream rims from a rim place in CA and shipped to Toronto, Ontario. About $200 a piece a year ago. My "other cars" mechanic was going to get me the pressure sensors for $50 each, but I couldn't figure out what tires to get. Local Tesla was ambiguous but CA told me pirelli scorpions. But they don't seem to have the foam. I thought it was important. Michelin say "EV compatable" but don't have the foam.
We finally got a bit of slush last week! that looked like it was going to freeze (crazy weather!!!!) which was motivation to go on line and found Nokians to have the only tire that had foam but was non specific about the winter model/year (current) I was looking at. Previous year said it had the foam.
If I hold off another couple weeks, it'll be spring! LOL.
Do your Nokians have foam? Model?
I'm actually impressed with the traction of the X D. Granted the Continental allseason are only 1 year old and have fairly aggressive tread. Last winter and this are the first winters I haven't had winter tires since the 80s with rear drive BMW 5's.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicedrum
I bought slipstream rims from a rim place in CA and shipped to Toronto, Ontario. About $200 a piece a year ago. My "other cars" mechanic was going to get me the pressure sensors for $50 each, but I couldn't figure out what tires to get. Local Tesla was ambiguous but CA told me pirelli scorpions. But they don't seem to have the foam. I thought it was important. Michelin say "EV compatable" but don't have the foam.
We finally got a bit of slush last week! that looked like it was going to freeze (crazy weather!!!!) which was motivation to go on line and found Nokians to have the only tire that had foam but was non specific about the winter model/year (current) I was looking at. Previous year said it had the foam.
If I hold off another couple weeks, it'll be spring! LOL.
Do your Nokians have foam? Model?
I'm actually impressed with the traction of the X D. Granted the Continental allseason are only 1 year old and have fairly aggressive tread. Last winter and this are the first winters I haven't had winter tires since the 80s with rear drive BMW 5's.

Yeah, it's so easy to agonize over decisions, and lose out on actually having something. I think that you'd probably be happy with just about any winter tire, though just to be safe a little research is good.

I ended up with Nokian Hakkapalitta R5, and not the EV one, just the 'normal' R5's. It's all that I could find available near me. I like that it's a winter-specialized company and seemed to get slightly better numbers on snow and ice than Michelin, and has more natural rubber and other materials.

Noise: I'll have a better update after some road trips, but I don't think I notice any real difference between them and the stock tires. I thought I did on my first trip home, but I think it could have been due to the tires being warm from being in the garage overnight (I dropped them off with the new-to-me rims for install at a garage). I don't think I would notice foam or not.

Efficiency: Need more data, but when I drove home (with warm tires) I got 225 Wh/mi in 6 mi of stop-and-go 30-40mph driving. I was blown away. Now with heat and cold tires I'm getting closer to 300-320, or more if it's a short trip. (20-40 deg Fahrenheit). Mostly local drives so far though.

Snow/ice: I've never driven a car that absolutely didn't seem to car about the few inches of snow/ice/slush that I drove through the other night. (But previous cars were lighter and cheaper) Our old Odyssey would tend to lose traction for a moment, in the front, in a turn in snow/slush, which wasn't fun. I would actually look forward to driving this in the snow. Though I bet any dedicated snow tire would perform just as well.

Make sure to do something before spring is here! :)

Reactions: Justjim
Yeah, it's so easy to agonize over decisions, and lose out on actually having something. I think that you'd probably be happy with just about any winter tire, though just to be safe a little research is good.

I ended up with Nokian Hakkapalitta R5, and not the EV one, just the 'normal' R5's. It's all that I could find available near me. I like that it's a winter-specialized company and seemed to get slightly better numbers on snow and ice than Michelin, and has more natural rubber and other materials.

Noise: I'll have a better update after some road trips, but I don't think I notice any real difference between them and the stock tires. I thought I did on my first trip home, but I think it could have been due to the tires being warm from being in the garage overnight (I dropped them off with the new-to-me rims for install at a garage). I don't think I would notice foam or not.

Efficiency: Need more data, but when I drove home (with warm tires) I got 225 Wh/mi in 6 mi of stop-and-go 30-40mph driving. I was blown away. Now with heat and cold tires I'm getting closer to 300-320, or more if it's a short trip. (20-40 deg Fahrenheit). Mostly local drives so far though.

Snow/ice: I've never driven a car that absolutely didn't seem to car about the few inches of snow/ice/slush that I drove through the other night. (But previous cars were lighter and cheaper) Our old Odyssey would tend to lose traction for a moment, in the front, in a turn in snow/slush, which wasn't fun. I would actually look forward to driving this in the snow. Though I bet any dedicated snow tire would perform just as well.

Make sure to do something before spring is here! :)
So 7C or 45F is the magic number for tire rubber. Colder and summer rubber is getting too hard for traction and warmer starts wearing winter rubber fast. All season will handle a bit colder, which is what got put on mine for summer. In Toronto, we seem to be skipping winter altogether. It will be 45F and raining Friday and Saturday! It should be about 16F degrees colder.
The EV foam is very visually noticeable. It is about a 2" thick porous foam like tape, the width of the flat of the tire. BTW if you have it you can't get an internal patch to fix a flat.
I got a set of combination summer/winter Nokians for a BMW 318. They were very noisy. A friend got them for a Subaru outback and also found them noisy when i pointed it out. Oops! I trust their dedicated winters wouldn't be...their ad says so! [Re your Odysee...I did have a grand caravan with a 3.4L engine. It was over powered. Terrible in traction in simmer wet and winter snow until I put one size larger in diameter. Game changer! Uses more torque to calm down the over power. Even with the fwd it now had traction. I ran pirelli P210 winters on it year round. When they wore, I replaced them and had an argument with the tire dealer about size. They agreed to put the "wrong" size on and didn't! Traction was back to *sugar*. I was told pirelli had changed ownership and the rubber had changed and never bought pirellis again. I noticed the size change some time later! I also had them on a 540 and liked them.]
Unfortunately, I am sensitive to the noise, as I have had a noisy set, setup a harmonic rumble in the cabin. It drives a person with some hearing loss, nuts. There were times it was good we're not allowed to carry. LOL
Curious about the mileage. You'd think the rubber would drop to the ambient temperature pretty fast, especially with the stop and go not heating them.
At my recent service, I did my usual complaint about range. The service guy suggested taking charge down to 5-10% and do a trickle charge back to 100%. I figured what do I have to lose, other than free charging. So I got it to 10% driving around "the block" and plugged it into 115V. It took 2 1/2 days and it stopped at 98% (set to 100%). We shall see. He said it would reset some cells to even out their power....OK? If nothing else, more munition for the next complaint.
Oh yes, tires. Let me know what you think of your nokians!

Reactions: nicedrum