Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Screen Burn in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Anyone else seen this?
Looks like when Tesla rolled out 'do not lock at home', it's leaving this screen on almost all the time while charging.

I didn't think anything of it, (other than the energy waste), until I saw this...

123321599_2177238675754555_4451940854281081546_n.jpg

Have noticed the same thing, not great..

Going into Display and manually turning on Night mode for a bit (and adjusting brightness) in the morning seems to work for me. Though I've been trying to lock at night when I remember to avoid all together

I plan to monitor this closer, as I would hate to have burn in on my screen, but since reading this, I’ve taken closer notice to the screen behavior when charging (or before/after). I do have my car set to not auto lock at home. I also have it set to start charging at 9:30pm when TOU is lowest.

The other night I plugged in at about 7pm and as usual, the IC display illuminates with the “charging scheduled” message and I went inside. I had to get something from the garage about an hour later and when I when out, I noted that the display was no longer on. Good!

The car is usually charged by 1am or so and when I went out to it in the morning at 6am and unplugged it to leave, the car was asleep and the screen off as well. Again, good!

Lastly, the car has been charging for about an hour tonight and I just went out to look and the display was off as well... so curious as to where/when people are seeing the display staying on?

In terms of settings: I’m set to not auto lock at home, no sentry, none of the other stuff that prevents sleeping- the car regularly sleeps well, not sure if that has anything to do with it? Software is 2020.44 on a 2020 MX LR+

FWIW, AGES ago (2009 or earlier), I saw a Samsung LCD monitor manual that explained effectively "burn in" on LCDs which was surprising to me at the time. I originally figured it was a thing limited to CRTs and plasma displays.

https://displaysolutions.samsung.co...-BC_32-55_EU_WebManual_Eng_GB-00_170417.0.pdf page 87 and 88 discuss it (for example). I recall the manual I had of a monitor model long forgotten had basically the same explanation and examples.

We at work had seen Macs with "burn in" on their LCDs where MacOS always has certain UI elements up (e.g. menu bar at the top).

I remember seeing discussion about it on other forums and people made suggestions like turning down the brightness (of the lighting) of the LCD. That won't do any good as even an LCD w/burned out backlight would suffer the above phenomena.