Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X to Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

euro2012

Supporting Member
Hello everyone. We currently have a Model 3 performance which we love. I would love to add a Cybertruck (we do have one on order) but that is not available for another couple of years. Considering getting a Model X in the meantime. Given that we would have it for a couple of years, are we going to take a bath when we try to trade it in for a Cybertruck? How have people found their values holding up, and how hard is it to sell a used X, vs trading in with Tesla? Thanks in advance!

The X is very easy to sell and holds it value quite well as long as you don't get the 5 seat version. You'll certainly be taking a bath if you trade it in to Tesla, they notoriously lowball their own vehicles upon trade request.

Reactions: forkee
Thanks for the insight. Weird that Tesla would do that, if anything you would think they could keep their own cars to add to their robotaxi fleet.
Do you think the model Y will affect the value of the X at all? Part of me feels like the X might be the forgotten middle child soon...

Thanks for the insight. Weird that Tesla would do that, if anything you would think they could keep their own cars to add to their robotaxi fleet.
Do you think the model Y will affect the value of the X at all? Part of me feels like the X might be the forgotten middle child soon...

Hard to say how the Y will affect the X’s value. On the one hand, it’s almost as much space for a lot less money.

On the other, it doesn’t have the self presenting doors, the falcon wings, the windshield, the suspension or the towing.

The X is still markedly superior as a vehicle, especially as a luxury vehicle, just not nearly the same value for money.

So it’ll be interesting to see how the market decides to value the two.

Reactions: wreighven
We own an S and X and have a reservation for a Cybertruck, which could be a replacement for either our S or X.

The X has an advantage with seating for 7, while the Cybertruck will seat 5 (like the S) but have more cargo and towing capability.

Depreciation on an X should be comparable to other vehicles at a similar price. The S/X took a big hit in resale value when Tesla did an across-the-board price reduction of S/X after the $7500 rebates expired. But other than that, resale values of S/X have done well.

Of course, new vehicles will appreciate more than used vehicles, so if you're only planning to keep the X (or any new vehicle), you should expect to lose about 2% of value each month.

We own an S and X and have a reservation for a Cybertruck, which could be a replacement for either our S or X.

The X has an advantage with seating for 7, while the Cybertruck will seat 5 (like the S) but have more cargo and towing capability.

Depreciation on an X should be comparable to other vehicles at a similar price. The S/X took a big hit in resale value when Tesla did an across-the-board price reduction of S/X after the $7500 rebates expired. But other than that, resale values of S/X have done well.

Of course, new vehicles will appreciate more than used vehicles, so if you're only planning to keep the X (or any new vehicle), you should expect to lose about 2% of value each month.
I'll be replacing the X with the Cybertruck. While the idea of having a 7 seater is awesome, only kids can sit comfortably in the 3rd row seats. The truck is supposed to have a 6th seat option, so that'll work fine for many of us.

Can't wait to load my motorcycle in the back and not have to use separate ramps, that was another job all by itself.

I ordered the X the same time I reserved the Cybertruck the night of unveil with the intention to sell it once CT is ready and I wanted to dump my ICE before it became as worthless as a CRT monitor.

The X is a one-off vehicle that, IMO, will depreciate very little in the time it takes the CT to become available. The Y will not affect the X as they are in two different leagues. The Y is not a luxury car, not a real SUV, some say not even a real CUV based on low clearance. If I'm wrong about this I'll settle for the dual motor CT, I reserved both DM and TM with that in mind.

The only unforeseen snafu is my wife is beginning to like the X more than her 3, especially in snow storms but I'm cool with that too cuz I like the X that much after 2 months and it's only money. Life is short

Reactions: wreighven
The X is very easy to sell and holds it value quite well as long as you don't get the 5 seat version. You'll certainly be taking a bath if you trade it in to Tesla, they notoriously lowball their own vehicles upon trade request.
Not sure I agree your five seat version theory.

Many including me opted for the five seat version as it fits our needs. No kids, no desire to be the car among our friends who can take everybody and more cargo space for the two of us. And less expensive.

Why pay for seats you’ll never use? The last thing I want in my X is six or seven people in it, if I wanted to do that I’d wait for the Tesla minivan.

Not sure I agree your five seat version theory.

Many including me opted for the five seat version as it fits our needs. No kids, no desire to be the car among our friends who can take everybody and more cargo space for the two of us. And less expensive.

Why pay for seats you’ll never use? The last thing I want in my X is six or seven people in it, if I wanted to do that I’d wait for the Tesla minivan.

Whatever makes you happy. You should realize, though, that it isn't just the seats - 6/7 seat cars also get a higher power air conditioning compressor and second evaporator at the rear, and a separate HVAC zone for the 2nd/3rd rows with the B-pillar vents connected to it instead of the front system like the 5 seat cars.

Whatever makes you happy. You should realize, though, that it isn't just the seats - 6/7 seat cars also get a higher power air conditioning compressor and second evaporator at the rear, and a separate HVAC zone for the 2nd/3rd rows with the B-pillar vents connected to it instead of the front system like the 5 seat cars.
Which is all for the convenience and comfort of the rear passengers, few of which I have ever.

Typically in resale and trade-in you don't recoup expensive upgrades, what the dealership refers to as chumpgrades. I've had enough expensive fully upgraded "LTD" versions of cars and trucks to know that. And with the X the five seater is plenty comfy enough for a buyer seeking a deal on a car that's rarely available used.

If the purpose for the OP is to use the X as a stop gap for the Cybertruck that maxes out at $70k why would he increase his investment in the X he plans to dump asap? He probably won't pay for the undercoating either

Which is all for the convenience and comfort of the rear passengers, few of which I have ever.

Typically in resale and trade-in you don't recoup expensive upgrades, what the dealership refers to as chumpgrades. I've had enough expensive fully upgraded "LTD" versions of cars and trucks to know that. And with the X the five seater is plenty comfy enough for a buyer seeking a deal on a car that's rarely available used.

If the purpose for the OP is to use the X as a stop gap for the Cybertruck that maxes out at $70k why would he increase his investment in the X he plans to dump asap? He probably won't pay for the undercoating either

Like I said, you pick the car that suits you and your needs best. I just wanted to make sure you knew it is more complex than just seats themselves.

We figured out that the compressor was bigger because among other things 6/7 seat cars draw noticeably more power during preconditioning on a hot summer day - which presumably means they cool down faster. That's probably not worth $3k to most people, but it's not worthless either.

Reactions: Mtnrunner
Believe the compressor difference between the 5/6/7 seaters is an urban legend.

Think the only difference is that for more than 5 seats it has additional air outlets to provide cooling area to the rear where people can sit.

No second compressor...no bigger compressor...just more vents.

Believe the compressor difference between the 5/6/7 seaters is an urban legend.

Think the only difference is that for more than 5 seats it has additional air outlets to provide cooling area to the rear where people can sit.

No second compressor...no bigger compressor...just more vents.

You can believe what you want, but there are two different SKUs, one marked as no RHVAC, and there are threads here showing the 6/7 seat cars have higher power draws during precooling.

Here's the EPC:
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 3.21.09 PM.png

Interestingly enough, I do have 3 kids, so it would be 7 seater for me. I’m leaning more and more to just keeping the X, and adding the Cybertruck once it comes out. That would make us fully electric, getting rid of our 1/2 ton ICE once the Cybertruck comes out. Only thing holding me back at the moment is the rumour of a larger battery pack for the X. Given that I plan to tow with it, and that we are in Canada, the extra range would be welcome. Just wondering how much of a price increase it will be. Any thoughts?