Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 19” Gemini tire replacements - Altimax RT45?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hitting 45k miles on a 2020 Model Y with 19” Geminis and starting to shop around for new tires.

Mostly my wife driving <45 mph although we also use this car for long road trips every once in a while. It rarely snows around here but still need a tire that can handle cold weather and the occasional snow should we decide to drive up north. Efficiency is a concern but not a huge one since we’re charging on solar anyways.

Are the General Altimax RT45 any good? I went with Vredestein Quatrac Pros on my other RWD Tesla and have been pretty happy with them although unsure if they also make them for the 19” Model Y wheels.

The Altimax is a Grand Touring tire, so performance/grip tends to take second place to comfort, noise, and tread life.

The Quatrac is 3PMSF (severe snow service) rated. The 400 treadwear rating on this versus 700 on the Altimax is indicative of the better grip this will provide, especially at lower temperatures.

I personally would choose the Quatrac, but that's a reflection of my priorities more than 'which tire is better'. A happy medium might be in the UHP All-Season category, for example, the tire I'm going to next, once the Continentals it came on wear out: