Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 19” Gemini tire replacements - Altimax RT45?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hitting 45k miles on a 2020 Model Y with 19” Geminis and starting to shop around for new tires.

Mostly my wife driving <45 mph although we also use this car for long road trips every once in a while. It rarely snows around here but still need a tire that can handle cold weather and the occasional snow should we decide to drive up north. Efficiency is a concern but not a huge one since we’re charging on solar anyways.

Are the General Altimax RT45 any good? I went with Vredestein Quatrac Pros on my other RWD Tesla and have been pretty happy with them although unsure if they also make them for the 19” Model Y wheels.

The Altimax is a Grand Touring tire, so performance/grip tends to take second place to comfort, noise, and tread life.

The Quatrac is 3PMSF (severe snow service) rated. The 400 treadwear rating on this versus 700 on the Altimax is indicative of the better grip this will provide, especially at lower temperatures.

I personally would choose the Quatrac, but that's a reflection of my priorities more than 'which tire is better'. A happy medium might be in the UHP All-Season category, for example, the tire I'm going to next, once the Continentals it came on wear out:

The Altimax is a Grand Touring tire, so performance/grip tends to take second place to comfort, noise, and tread life.

The Quatrac is 3PMSF (severe snow service) rated. The 400 treadwear rating on this versus 700 on the Altimax is indicative of the better grip this will provide, especially at lower temperatures.

I personally would choose the Quatrac, but that's a reflection of my priorities more than 'which tire is better'. A happy medium might be in the UHP All-Season category, for example, the tire I'm going to next, once the Continentals it came on wear out:

Have you or anybody else considered or had experience with the HANKOOK ION EVO AS SUV as a replacement tire on the MYLR? It looks really good on paper.

I've not had experience with that model tire; for one thing, it's fairly new, and I usually stay in the UHP All Season tire category. I've seen lots of discussion around here about it, and it's mostly good.

Keep in mind that most tire choices involve compromise. Between the Hankook Ion and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S I referenced earlier, it's most likely that:

- Ion will last longer
- PS4 will provide better grip
- Ion will be quieter
- PS4 is lighter
- Ion has less rolling resistance
- costs are similar
- there are other metrics that will differ, but are more challenging to easily summarize

So you're trading 'some amount' of increased grip for 'some amount' of increased tread life, reduced noise, and increased efficiency. How much of all those things are being traded is difficult to quantify, and it depends on road/weather conditions and how you drive (among other things). Only you know which of all those things you'd rather have more of. I personally favor grip, both for 'fun' and safety reasons, but another driver could easily choose the Touring aspects of the Ion over the PS4.

Are the General Altimax RT45 any good?
I found their predecessor - the RT43 - to have extremely poor wet weather performance, despite solid reviews. I'd need a lot of convincing before I tried General tires again.

I have Vredestein Quatrac Pros on a Subaru, on the other hand, and those are like velcro on wet roads. Unless you can be certain that the RT45 is a significant upgrade over the RT43, I think going with the Vredestein Quatrac Pro+ would be less risky.

Reactions: bobkart
I've not had experience with that model tire; for one thing, it's fairly new, and I usually stay in the UHP All Season tire category. I've seen lots of discussion around here about it, and it's mostly good.

Keep in mind that most tire choices involve compromise. Between the Hankook Ion and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S I referenced earlier, it's most likely that:

- Ion will last longer
- PS4 will provide better grip
- Ion will be quieter
- PS4 is lighter
- Ion has less rolling resistance
- costs are similar
- there are other metrics that will differ, but are more challenging to easily summarize

So you're trading 'some amount' of increased grip for 'some amount' of increased tread life, reduced noise, and increased efficiency. How much of all those things are being traded is difficult to quantify, and it depends on road/weather conditions and how you drive (among other things). Only you know which of all those things you'd rather have more of. I personally favor grip, both for 'fun' and safety reasons, but another driver could easily choose the Touring aspects of the Ion over the PS4.
Thank you for your response and analysis. You have more insight into the nuances of the various characteristics than I have and I appreciate you sharing that knowledge.

Reactions: bobkart