Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will 255/50R19 work on 19" GEMINI WHEELS for model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: 2021 MYLR, 51 k miles.
1000 mile Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 255/50 X 19. Vehicle is at 51k miles, with Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Coilovers installed at around 10k miles.

Here are a few things to consider:

1) Aspect ratio 50 vs. 45: This size tire absorbs road imperfections much better than 255/45 X 19 tires. MUCH better.
2) Load rating 107 vs. 104: I thought the slightly higher load rating would have a stiffer sidewall, thus negating the change in aspect ratio.
3) These tires start at 11/32" tread vs. 10/32 and 9/32 (IIRC) for the ContiPros and the Michelin PilotSport A/s 4s.

However, because of the increased load rating, I can safely drop PSI to 36psi, vs. Tesla's recommended 42 psi.

So far, I like the ride of these tires MUCH more than the OEM-size Conti ProContact (30k miles) or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s (20k miles.), both requiring 42psi.

I don't push the handling characteristics very often. The tires seem to "float" more, which makes sense, but the car feels nicely planted at all times.

I'm baffled by the efficiency, because it seems to have IMPROVED over the OEM sized tires. This is probably because of perfect ambient temps of 50-70f, with minimal load on the HVAC.

(I might cross-post this entry in other tire comparison threads. I hope the moderator doesn't mind.)

Last edited:
Update: 2021 MYLR, 51 k miles.
1000 mile Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 255/50 X 19. Vehicle is at 51k miles, with Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Coilovers installed at around 10k miles.

Here are a few things to consider:

1) Aspect ratio 50 vs. 45: This size tire absorbs road imperfections much better than 255/45 X 19 tires. MUCH better.
2) Load rating 107 vs. 104: I thought the slightly higher load rating would have a stiffer sidewall, thus negating the change in aspect ratio.
3) These tires start at 11/32" tread vs. 10/32 and 9/32 (IIRC) for the ContiPros and the Michelin PilotSport A/s 4s.

However, because of the increased load rating, I can safely drop PSI to 36psi, vs. Tesla's recommended 42 psi.

So far, I like the ride of these tires MUCH more than the OEM-size Conti ProContact (30k miles) or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s (20k miles.), both requiring 42psi.

I don't push the handling characteristics very often. The tires seem to "float" more, which makes sense, but the car feels nicely planted at all times.

I'm baffled by the efficiency, because it seems to have IMPROVED over the OEM sized tires. This is probably because of perfect ambient temps of 50-70f, with minimal load on the HVAC.

(I might cross-post this entry in other tire comparison threads. I hope the moderator doesn't mind.)
Good info. Did you try the new tires at 42psi? If so, what were they like?

Technically, to match the 104 load rating, the Toyo charts show that you would need just over 38psi on the 107XL tire to match the 42psi rating on a 104XL.

Source:

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
MattM24: Interesting. I read a chart from another car company, and it showed 1907lb. capacity at 36PSI for 107XL tires, which, of course, is for a fully loaded vehicle.

For the record, I drive solo 98% of the time.

Yes, I tried 42psi. The ride improved significantly when I dropped to 40, then 38, then 36PSI.

MattM24: Interesting. I read a chart from another car company, and it showed 1907lb. capacity at 36PSI for 107XL tires, which, of course, is for a fully loaded vehicle.

For the record, I drive solo 98% of the time.

Yes, I tried 42psi. The ride improved significantly when I dropped to 40, then 38, then 36PSI.
This chart also shows 1907 lbs for 36psi on a 107XL.
The 104XL shows 1984 lbs at 42 psi, which is what I was using as the direct comparison.

Individual use cases will vary of course. YMMV, right?

It’s also worth noting that for non-LT rated tires on SUVs, the article states that the tires needs to be able to handle 10% more than their axle rating. With the axle rating for ~3,600 lbs, that’s 1,800 a tire plus 10% or 1,980 lbs. Hence the 104Xl at 42 psi rating.