Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 20" induction wheels unstable at highway speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some insight here. I have 20" inductions that feel unstable at highway speeds. It almost feels like the wheels get stuck in a groove and I have to force the steering wheel to "get it out." I would also describe the sensation as if the car randomly pulls slightly right or left, almost feels like when a big truck passes you or a big gust of wind pushes the car, but it happens when its not windy and trucks are no where to be found. Driving feels normal at speeds below 40mph. Tesla already rebalanced the tires but that hasn't solved the issue. It should also be noted that I have a set of 19" Gemini's that I have winter tires on and I never experience this issue with those wheels on. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check if Tesla Lane Departure Avoidance is on. If your didn’t have this issue with previous Gemini wheels, probably not, but worth to check.

Lane Departure Avoidance​

Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to warn you if Model 3 is drifting out of, or nears the edge of, your driving lane.
Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 64 and 145 km/h on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:
  • Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheelvibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model 3 in a safe position if Model 3 drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.

Reactions: DFDNY444
Alignment needs checking, for sure. It's also possible, with higher PSI, that some tires will exhibit "tramlining".

'The term "tramlining" is being used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. Its name could be compared to the tram or trolley driver who does not steer because his vehicle follows the path established by the tracks."

Looking for some insight here. I have 20" inductions that feel unstable at highway speeds. It almost feels like the wheels get stuck in a groove and I have to force the steering wheel to "get it out." I would also describe the sensation as if the car randomly pulls slightly right or left, almost feels like when a big truck passes you or a big gust of wind pushes the car, but it happens when its not windy and trucks are no where to be found. Driving feels normal at speeds below 40mph. Tesla already rebalanced the tires but that hasn't solved the issue. It should also be noted that I have a set of 19" Gemini's that I have winter tires on and I never experience this issue with those wheels on. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever figure out a solve here? I’m having this same issue on my new Model Y.

Did you ever figure out a solve here? I’m having this same issue on my new Model Y.
I would bring it back to the SC for an alignment check if it is brand new. I have done many alignments on brand-new cars during a PDI because the alignment shifted when strapped down in transport (or wasn't aligned that well, to begin with.) A test drive to check this is normally what is done before delivering a car, but I don't know if Tesla does that.