Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y AWD Delivery day. Two small issues.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MY AWD today and it’s almost perfect.

Two small issues that I’m looking for help on. Not sure the best place to post so please point me in the right direction if I’m misusing this thread.

Issue 1. The front drivers side door isn’t closing as smoothly as the others. Makes a weird noise and it seems like the window gets hung up on the insulation material before closing. Will try to post a video. It’s hard to capture but clear something is wonky. If others have seen similar issues, please let me know!

Issue 2. Small scratch in left drivers side door inlay. See attached.

Wondering if I should report and make a trip to service center. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3455.jpeg
    IMG_3455.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 157
Picked up my MY AWD today and it’s almost perfect.

Two small issues that I’m looking for help on. Not sure the best place to post so please point me in the right direction if I’m misusing this thread.

Issue 1. The front drivers side door isn’t closing as smoothly as the others. Makes a weird noise and it seems like the window gets hung up on the insulation material before closing. Will try to post a video. It’s hard to capture but clear something is wonky. If others have seen similar issues, please let me know!

Issue 2. Small scratch in left drivers side door inlay. See attached.

Wondering if I should report and make a trip to service center. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Wow same model 3 2023 drivers side rear door was clicking and same side in seem looks like a chip so small , service tighten the door hinge which was clearly loose no more clicking kinda stiff when closing , service convinced me not really a chip just some dry clear coat .

I have the same issue with the door on my 3 week old MY, or at least I think it's the same issue. It closes with what I can best describe as a 'secondary' sound that follows a split-second after the first, something similar (but not exactly like) the sound a normal car door makes when it is being not fully shut. In fact, that's what I thought it was the first couple of days, then closing it harder made no difference.

I've taken it to service and they said because the seals are so tight, that's the cause. When I showed skepticism they showed me a year-old car with 8K miles on it that is also doing that. However, when I showed them that the panel (above the door armrest) rattles a bit when smacked with the hand, they offered to replace the panel for me. I've set up the appointment.

OP, have you found out any more about the issue?
EY2K, can you expand on what you know about this?

I am concerned about them opening up the door and potentially messing things up more. But as it stands this is quite an annoyance and diluting the pleasure of an otherwise excellent car, the first car purchase for us in 12 years.

I have the same issue with the door on my 3 week old MY, or at least I think it's the same issue. It closes with what I can best describe as a 'secondary' sound that follows a split-second after the first, something similar (but not exactly like) the sound a normal car door makes when it is being not fully shut. In fact, that's what I thought it was the first couple of days, then closing it harder made no difference.

I've taken it to service and they said because the seals are so tight, that's the cause. When I showed skepticism they showed me a year-old car with 8K miles on it that is also doing that. However, when I showed them that the panel (above the door armrest) rattles a bit when smacked with the hand, they offered to replace the panel for me. I've set up the appointment.

I am concerned about them opening up the door and potentially messing things up more. But as it stands this is quite an annoyance and diluting the pleasure of an otherwise excellent car, the first car purchase for us in 12 years.
Yes, you perfectly explained it! I think it’s just a tolerance thing. The second noise is the window hitting the seal and getting kinda hung up on it. It’s not a “clear cut” issue, just feels and sounds slightly wonky compared to the smooth closing and noise of the other doors.

I set up a service appointment for the scratch. It’s super minor but hey this is a $55k+ car, might as well be as close to perfect when I drive it off the lot as possible. It’s a tiny scratch and I could definitely live with it, but would be a reminder of the hesitance I had to buy my second Tesla in the first place.

Thankfully the car is pretty great otherwise. Decent improvement in ride quality, cabin noise, overall polish, etc. over my 2019 M3.

Similar experience with my pass front door. It was a bit harder to close than the rest and also made a different sound when closing, but the alignment seemed fine. 2 weeks in, and my wife and I haven’t noticed it anymore. I don’t think this issue is unique to Tesla, but it is unique to vehicle’s with frameless windows. This is the first vehicle I’ve owned with frameless doors.