Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front seat riser removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it is part of the body. Check out a Sandy Munro teardown video on Youtube for further insight, I believe it's welded/stamped in.

Also, how tall are you?!? I'm 6'4" and have tons of headroom.

Edit:

Looks like they are separate pieces, but I'm not positive a seat would bolt in without them. You'd have to try it. Looks like a ton of height to be gained though if you went down this road and it worked

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I'm short, but a friend of mine is interested in purchasing a Y. He is 6'7" and sat in ours last night. He does fit, but could benefit from a better view through the windshield.
Was the seat adjusted all the way down?

My wife's seating position has the seat raised all the way and I don't have a good view out the windshield if I leave the seat height at her preferred level. Lower it all the way down and give that seat the Detroit Lean and he should be fine :D

Keith

Upvote 0
I believe it is part of the body. Check out a Sandy Munro teardown video on Youtube for further insight, I believe it's welded/stamped in.

Also, how tall are you?!? I'm 6'4" and have tons of headroom.

Edit:

Looks like they are separate pieces, but I'm not positive a seat would bolt in without them. You'd have to try it. Looks like a ton of height to be gained though if you went down this road and it worked

From the video it looks like the structure could be chopped and welded by a competent metal worker, but it looks like that would also affect center console mounting... if the metal worker chopped 2 inches out of the seat mounts he would have to add 2 inch extensions to the portion where the center console attached to prevent issues with the rear center vents and the center console trim pieces.

In other words, it could be done fairly easily by a competent metal worker... but it would take crap loads of tear down and preparation work... I have no idea what it would cost.

Keith

PS: I didn't watch the whole video... is this a structural battery pack car? Do pre-structural pack and structural pack cars have the same seat mounts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From the video it looks like the structure could be chopped and welded by a competent metal worker, but it looks like that would also affect center console mounting... if the metal worker chopped 2 inches out of the seat mounts he would have to add 2 inch extensions to the portion where the center console attached to prevent issues with the rear center vents and the center console trim pieces.

In other words, it could be done fairly easily by a competent metal worker... but it would take crap loads of tear down and preparation work... I have no idea what it would cost.

Keith

PS: I didn't watch the whole video... is this a structural battery pack car? Do pre-structural pack and structural pack cars have the same seat mounts?
Yup, lots of room for fabrication here, it could "easily" be custom fabbed given the bolt holes in the chassis already exist. Just a matter of finding someone 1) Willing to take on the liability and 2) $$$ :)

That is not a structural car, it is one of the early builds right when the Y came out. Sandy recently did a structural pack teardown and it's really cool - the seats mount directly to the battery and drop out from below.

Upvote 0
Yup, lots of room for fabrication here, it could "easily" be custom fabbed given the bolt holes in the chassis already exist. Just a matter of finding someone 1) Willing to take on the liability and 2) $$$ :)

That is not a structural car, it is one of the early builds right when the Y came out. Sandy recently did a structural pack teardown and it's really cool - the seats mount directly to the battery and drop out from below.

So if the tall man in question were to get a Model Y today, it would have the new system... so are the seats still on risers that bolt onto the structural battery pack, or is the top shell of the battery made with the risers built in?

Keith

Reactions: Georgesb2
Upvote 0