Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Interior Cabin Radar Replacement - Engineering Study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled an appointment for tire rotation for 2022 MY and the technician said there’s also a request for Model Y Interior Cabin Radar Replacement - Engineering Study. Anyone familiar with this?
AD3B7036-8D4D-420B-952D-8F4B28F99BE5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Interesting, thanks!

I'm not sure what exactly this means. Tesla did receive a patent for a millimeter wave radar for interior cabin monitoring. So upon seeing your post, I thought maybe they're in a program to actually try these interior radars out in certain customer cars. If so, this would be very interesting news.

However I just found a listing for the interior infrared camera part number, for model Y, from June of last year - and it's the same part number called out in your snapshot. I would think that if they were actually swapping out a few cameras in the field with newer advanced radar-added cameras as a test study, the new ones would have a different part number or suffix.

So this is kind of confusing, and may not be as exotic as it sounds. I'm wondering if the word "Radar" here is just a misnomer. It could be that their logs show some problem with your particular camera unit (maybe a known problem they're grappling with) and they want to replace it to see if yours starts working better.

Please share any other info that might give clues. Did anyone at the SC mention that it was actually new and different part?

As far I can tell, I don’t think there was any issues with the interior camera. Honestly, the only time I used the interior camera was during sentry.

Mobile technician said that when he got the request he asked other technician if they performed this swap before and they said they haven’t seen this request before.

Edit 1: this is how the picture quality looks after the camera swap. If someone wants to compare and see how their picture quality looks.

Attachments

• 9BC3AB1B-B755-4756-97E1-F3183FC75D4D.jpeg
    9BC3AB1B-B755-4756-97E1-F3183FC75D4D.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I believe that there has been a standing replacement for some of the cameras in the Model Ys.
Due to a bad production batch? That's what this seems like.

The word "radar" is a red herring here, but caught my attention because of the prior news on that tech.