Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have done my own tire rotation on my 2022 Model Y every 6200 miles or so as suggested on owner's manual. My tires have about 32k miles and will need to be replaced in the next few months. One thing I've noticed is that there is a slightly increased tire wear on the inside of all 4 tires. I'm probably going to get a lifetime alignment from my local Firestone but my question is a simple one. Should I do the alignment before replacing the tires or does it not matter?

The tires effect the alignment, you want to get it after the tires are installed. Alignment has a pretty large effect on how the car drives and handles. It also has a huge effect on tire wear. A good alignment makes everything better, so I tend to make sure mines perfect.

Totally normal, especially at 32k. The rear camber is not adjustable, and the front is only just. If the the tires wore evenly from left to right, and the car drives straight, I wouldn't mess with it.
You can do the Rear Camber on the Model Y, I've attached how to do the alignment on the Model Y.

Attachments

• Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
FWIW, the SO and I drove her 2021 MY with some 15k miles on it from NJ to Dallas and back. It was due for a tire rotation, so took the car to the local AAA travel/car maintenance place for that. And, while was at it, asked them to check the alignment. After making sure that they could do Teslas and all that.

Interestingly, both the front and rear alignments for toe-in were off by a degree or so, but just on the front left and rear left tires. (This was a four-wheel alignment.) Paid the $140 for the rest of it and they got it set up properly.

Don't know how long it had been like that; neither one of us remember potholes or curbs doing any damage; but there it was.

Was thinking about it later. On highways, where this might have been somewhat more noticeable than local roads, the two of us tend to use EAP. Which actively keeps the car in the center of the lane and all that. So, might have been like this from day one or got picked up later, but in either case the car's active control of Which Way It Was Going might have made the issue less obvious.

You can do the Rear Camber on the Model Y, I've attached how to do the alignment on the Model Y.
N..8, in the procedure you posted is a hyperlink that says "Wheel Alignment" which contains the specifications. Clicking on the hyperlink gives an error message. Do you have a .pdf of that part of the service manual that can be posted also?

PDF worked for me. Be aware that these camber adjustments barely change anything. If you're off half a degree, you're not going to have that much range of adjustment.
On my older 2021 Model Y I had both rears and I did the adjustment on my front left after I went through the first set of OEM Tires. After I did the adjustments I road over 20k on a set of tires and had very little wear in the insides. I took the car to a local guy here and we worked together to get the alignment. Wasn't easy but if you are will to spend a couple hours and have a local shop that doesn't mind then worth it. I've been watching my new 2024 Model Y and looking at the tires and I think I'm going to have to do the same to the front left as I did on my older car.

It's amazing that these cars even have camber adjustment in such a way. Most cars have camber that comes out of the factory perfect. Teslas must be assembled in a way that doesn't guarantee the chassis is straight every time. I had to increase the adjustment range of the upper control arm mount bolt holes just to get my camber from -1.5º to -0.4º on my front right. Meanwhile, the front left came out of the factory at -0.5º. Still too much for my liking, but got me a bit more reasonable tire wear when the other side was corrected.

It's amazing that these cars even have camber adjustment in such a way. Most cars have camber that comes out of the factory perfect. Teslas must be assembled in a way that doesn't guarantee the chassis is straight every time. I had to increase the adjustment range of the upper control arm mount bolt holes just to get my camber from -1.5º to -0.4º on my front right. Meanwhile, the front left came out of the factory at -0.5º. Still too much for my liking, but got me a bit more reasonable tire wear when the other side was corrected.
Absolutely agree with you, at least then didn't try to have adjustable suspension like the Model S that's just a horrible issue. When I first got a Tesla Model S back in 2016 I think the tires lasted about 10k and they were done.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Got new shocks on my 23' MYP with 3k miles on it and got an alignment at the same time. The toe was out of whack on both the front and rear on the passenger side. Must have came like that from the factory.
I have ALWAYS immediately taken a new car to an independent suspension shop for an alignment, for two reasons:
1) Factory alignments are inconsistent, across all brands...Toyota, VAG, Nissan, Ford, Honda (I've had experience with all of these)
2) I then have a starting baseline for future reference.

Reactions: N..8 and Sweed269