Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Lost all power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it replaced and got the car back today...to the tune of $356 (plus costs of nano ceramic re-tint). Expensive tuition.

I'm trying to understand - the car lost power, you had to use the manual door release to get out and the window cracked/broke when you tried to close the door afterwards?

What was the cause of the original failure (that required you to use the manual release to exit the car)? Was this a user error (how?) or a vehicle defect/failure?

If the original issue was a defect and the cracked window was a result of a necessary response to deal with the failure - I'm surprised that replacing the windows was considered a user expense.

Why would a "typical" Tesla owner not think that closing the door after manually opening it was acceptable? I think the average person wouldn't expect the door needs to be left open afterwards or that temporary power was required to lower the window slightly before attempting the closure.

Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

Well...you understood correctly and I have no idea "why" the car lost all power. I'm sitting inside trying to familiarize myself with the settings, setting up profile/preference and listing to a bit of music..then all the sudden "Bam". Without power, nothing works. Can't open door(s), can't roll down windows etc. The only way to get out is via that manual door opening. So being the 1st time Tesla owner and in a confused state, I close the door as I normally do... and that was all it takes.

Is it my fault for cracking the window? Yes...I did close the door which cracked the window. But is it entirely my fault since the car lost power (and thus didn't drop down the window a bit)? I did try to reason with them when picking up the car but Tesla (advisor) said it's 100% my fault and so I have to pay.

Now if there is a customer complain email/contact that I can escalate I'd love to do it...

Reactions: chobra
I find that interesting - since I can't see how any typical user would have done anything differently. The original defect/failure was the reason why the window didn't lower itself in a normal fashion. No defect, no window damage. If this is the most likely outcome - the door should really block itself from closing when power isn't present.

If this had happened to my wife while she was out by herself - she wouldn't have wanted to leave the door open after getting out!

IMO - it's horrible that it wasn't covered by the warranty...