Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of New Car with 900 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a new model Y about 15 days ago. The car has 900 miles on it and 42% charge when I returned from work today. I plugged it into the charger as usual. After a few hours, the app won't connect to the car. The car won't open with the card key. The charger was still connected and stuck, but T logo near the charging port was dark.
Called roadside assistance. They opened the hood (using the process to open it without power). They jumped the 12V battery. The car doors opened, and I was able to remove the charger from port. The computer started and displayed

"Electrical system backup power is unavailable. Vehicle will consume more energy while idle".

The car battery still had 45% charge. The car has been towed to the service center that is more than 100 miles away. I am left without a car now.

This car is by far the most expensive car I have bought. I have invested enough to believe that this was only a one time problem and the car will turn out to be a reliable one. Fingers crossed...

Attachments

• IMG_4496 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4496 Large.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4498 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4498 Large.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I purchased a new model Y about 15 days ago. The car has 900 miles on it and 42% charge when I returned from work today. I plugged it into the charger as usual. After a few hours, the app won't connect to the car. The car won't open with the card key. The charger was still connected and stuck, but T logo near the charging port was dark.
Called roadside assistance. They opened the hood (using the process to open it without power). They jumped the 12V battery. The car doors opened, and I was able to remove the charger from port. The computer started and displayed

"Electrical system backup power is unavailable. Vehicle will consume more energy while idle".

The car battery still had 45% charge. The car has been towed to the service center that is more than 100 miles away. I am left without a car now.

This car is by far the most expensive car I have bought. I have invested enough to believe that this was only a one time problem and the car will turn out to be a reliable one. Fingers crossed...

That sucks, I hope you have a speedy repair, especially since its a brand new car.

I had a very similar experience with my new model S Plaid this summer. It turned out to be a failed component on the main computer's motherboard. They swapped it out, and it's been rock solid ever since.

Hang in there... even awesome cars are at the mercy of supply chain issues.

I work at a company that makes computer memory chips. When you're trying to make semiconductor chips as small as possible, defects can be very small and hard to detect and can be borderline sometimes if they show up immediately or need to be stressed a bit to make them appear/fail. These are called "infant failures" in the industry. We do run some stress testing on the parts to try to expose those and weed them out, but it is a bit more likely for something like that to show up in the first week or two of use. If it passes that, it's probably relatively defect free and will last for a long time. It's just in the nature of electronics.

thank you everyone for your comments. You guys were spot on. The PCS had failed. They will replace the system and my car should be good.
The only trouble compared to gas car repair is that the service center is 100 miles from my place. I am sure this will improve with time as Tesla opens more facilities.