Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR c Tow Hitch for Bicycle Rack in USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to purchase a MY LR 19" with tow hitch for a bicycle rack for two touring bikes. Questions for anyone for help:
1. What is the Rear camera view with bicycles on the rack (picture)?
2. What is the obstruction to the rear camera view, the rear sensors and the rear view mirror?
3. What is the obstruction by the bicycles to the rear brake and turn signals to vehicles behind?
4. Is there a bicycle rack or modification to a bicycle rack to place brake/turn signal lights on the rear of the rack?
I would prefer to haul the secured bikes in the interior as we have done for the last 20+ years in our Honda Odyssey, but the Model Y appears to have the largest opening yet can not accommodate two bicycles, front wheels off, upright securely. Any advice (except forget the bike) and experience will be thoroughly appreciated.

Hi! I'm recent MY purchaser and I've used roof mounted bike racks for a long time but with the glass roof and the aerodynamic aspects (as well as being older now and getting tired of lifting bikes up) I decided to get a hitch mount. I went for a Thule Epos 2, I've only used it twice but I'm really happy with it. The mount has a tightenable wedge which completely eliminates that terrible wobble you see with so many hitch mount bike racks. It does have optional lights (even a place for an illuminated licence plate!) but at an extra $250, I bought an aftermarket pair of trailer lights instead for $25! on Amazon.
#1.. I took a picture of the rear view camera view for you, I was on my way out to get my suspension repaired so there's only one bike on it but it gives an idea. The rack itself is fairly expensive at around $1000 but it folds up very nicely and will fit in the passenger footwell when folded which is a real benefit.
#2.. the rear view mirror (I should have taken that picture too) isn't too badly obstructed because the bikes sit fairly low on this particular rack (one reason for buying it).
#3.. Solved with the added lights. I've seen a few hitch rack on people's cars at night before and I'm sure they don't realise how much their tail lights are obscured. I'll try to get a picture of mine with the lights when it stops raining here!
#4.. As I said, my lights are after-market (I'll can send a link when I get the additional pictures for you) and they stick on nicely to the Thule, there are 2 ideal positions for them. I needed to buy a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter so that I could plug them in. When plugged in they trigger the towing mode on the car.
Forgetting the bike is never an option!

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_082046738.jpg
    IMG_20231129_082046738.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Thank you SilentMike, exactly what I was hoping to see with your solution for auxiliary rear lights. It's nice to know I'm not the only one concerned about visibility on the vehicle as well as on the bike. (We're road/tour cyclists so helmet lights, day time lights as well as cameras front and rear on my bike.) We're expecting our MY LR mid-month, probably order the Thule Epos Hitch Rack from REI soon after. We've rented an M3 over two days and test drove a MY overnight, but I'd like to be comfortable with all driving parameters before adding a loaded bike rack. Hmm, it would be nice if an auxiliary camera was possible in order to cover the bikes on the rack. May look into that for the future. Having the bikes secured inside our minivan (2000 Honda Odyssey) has been ideal, but, at least as of today only a hybrid minivan, the Chrysler Pacifica, is such a beast, and no "reasonably priced" EV minivan.

27°F? We just returned from Montreal and had temps in the teens. Now at home it's 80+°, but tomorrow we're headed to Madison WI for more cool weather. No bikes, though. Haven't ridden in snow, yet. Next April we'll hit more Southeast states in my wife's quest to do all 50. In the MY! Every ride is an adventure, this'll just add to that.

Thanks again and enjoy the ride!

Upvote 0
Glad to help Ed. There are a couple of things I'd like to add to my earlier comments about the rack.. One thing I heard people criticise about the rack was that it sticks out too much in a parking lot. To me, when there are bikes on it that's not an issue and when the bikes are off it CAN be folded up against the back of the car. There's no actual latch in that position so if you tried to drive it would fall down, but there is enough friction to get it out of the way when parked, that way pedestrians won't walk into it and cars passing too close won't take off your bumper ;)
There's one more thing that I think people should be aware of and which I think is actually a design flaw.. When I was looking at the Thule video it shows a hinged pin being rotated into the hole in the TV hitch. I assumed, from its location that the hitch lock would prevent it from opening. I was wrong, it is free to pivot independently. This means that if you forget to rotate it then, apart from the hitch clamp, there's nothing holding the rack in place. The clamp is very strong and the rack falling out seems unlikely but I noticed that the first time I assembled the rack the aluminium wedge was crushed a little by the TV tube. To me it seems that the wedge could work its way loose, particularly on the first couple of uses and that it's possible for someone to either miss the hole with the pin or not rotate it at all. My advice is to double check that the pin is properly inserted before you drive!
Regards

Upvote 0
Is it not mandatory to have extra lights on when transporting something that obstructs the lamps.

Here it is mandatory to have an extra bar that has, not only lights but also an extra license plate as the bike rack will also obskure the license plate.

If stopped without such a device it is a $150 fine.

I know they have similar laws in Germany.

Attachments

• paa_vejen_cykelholder.jpg
    paa_vejen_cykelholder.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
Seems like a sensible law. In the US things seem to be a little less strict and it varies from state to state. I've never heard of anyone getting fined for not having an easily seen plate, probably just because it's low on their priority list. To me it's important to be seen clearly on poorly lit roads but most people here with hitch mounted racks have nothing on the back to help visibility.

Upvote 0
Seems like a sensible law. In the US things seem to be a little less strict and it varies from state to state. I've never heard of anyone getting fined for not having an easily seen plate, probably just because it's low on their priority list. To me it's important to be seen clearly on poorly lit roads but most people here with hitch mounted racks have nothing on the back to help visibility.
Yes i think the law is ok, the reason for the license plate is the law states that you must display a license plate, easily readable both front and rear.

But yes, the most important thing is the light, i have seen instances where a bike on the back of a car, completely obscured the turn indicator, this can be really dangerous if a cyclist thinks a car is going to go straight ahead, but instead it turns.

They are pretty rigorous about this law as well, if the police sees this and they are not otherwise engaged, they will stop you and fine you.

Upvote 0
I have the Yakima bike rack on my other car for 6 years now, never had an issue with the police. I just had is inspected in the state of NJ and the gentleman said it no issue leaving the rack on the car. Different states may have different rules, NJ require plate on front & back.

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    869 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
I have the Yakima bike rack on my other car for 6 years now, never had an issue with the police. I just had is inspected in the state of NJ and the gentleman said it no issue leaving the rack on the car. Different states may have different rules, NJ require plate on front & back.
But the law does state that your taillight/brakelight/etc. must be visible, right ?

In that case, it would still be illegal to put a bike onto the rack if it obscures the lamps ?

If not illegal, that's pretty dangerous if you ask me, i would wonder if you would not risk being held liable if someone crashed into the back of your car and stated they were unable to see your brakelights ?

Upvote 0
But the law does state that your taillight/brakelight/etc. must be visible, right ?

In that case, it would still be illegal to put a bike onto the rack if it obscures the lamps ?

If not illegal, that's pretty dangerous if you ask me, i would wonder if you would not risk being held liable if someone crashed into the back of your car and stated they were unable to see your brakelights ?
If you can’t see the tail lamps then you have bigger problems. Tail lights are not blocked.

Upvote 0
That is perfectly legal in the USA , your local jurisdiction may shed some light on your country.
I live in Europe and driving with anything obstructing any of your legally required lamps is illegal, so the extra boom with lights and an extra license plate is mandatory.

You can even get a fine if a lamp is covered by snow or dirt and the same with license plates.

Upvote 0