Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Towing Setup with Links

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See here for my trailer brake solution: Redarc hidden trailer brake Link to brake controller: Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller - it worked flawlessly:

Screenshot 2024-07-01 200433.png

I have seen lots of videos with people towing and the tow chains always bothered me - they drag on the lip below the receiver. There is an easy solution - tow cables: Curt (2) 1-hook Coiled Safety Cables W S-hooks 5,000 lb . They coil nicely, are quiet and do not drag on any car parts.

I am towing an Aliner folding travel trailer, it is about 2800lb loaded with a 300lb hitch weight. The car has about an inch and 1/2 of sag in the rear when loaded. On my BMW (X3) I used weight distribution and had almost no sag (but had a class III hitch). No weight distribution on a class II factory hitch.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 174213.png

In terms of the hitch, I wanted something that gave me options, and didn't have too much length and was light. I decided to go with an aluminum VNN Adjustable Drop Hitch. I was mildly concerned about the trailer pushing the upright part of the hitch into the bumper, so I padded it with 1/4" high density foam tape: High Density Foam Tape.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 204904.png

While I was at it, I opted for a coiled breakaway cable by Fastway. It does not drag and stays out of the way.

The Tesla towed the trailer effortlessly. Speed and large hills were my enemy. I maintained 68 in a 65 on the Thruway on cruise. I'll post energy usage when I get back to the car and take a snapshot.

I am heading to Cape Cod next - about 450 miles. ABRP A Better Route Planner estimates 4 charging stops to get most of the wat there (we overnight just outside of the bridge so we can get to it early enough to avoid traffic).

A couple of other notes - the side cameras are awesome on the Tesla and show the entire length of the trailer, which makes lane changes easy. Backing up was problematic as the Tesla mirrors are not as wide as the ones on my BMW. The trailer is short, and I could not see the swing of the trailer in close quarters (backing it into my garage). I have done it a ton of times, but it was harder with the Tesla and I definitely needed a spotter. I did order a wireless backup camera (the camera is battery/solar powered by Auto Vox with a 7" monitor. It arrives tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

I hope this is helpful for those of you considering towing. I did a ton of research to get here, and everything seemed to work well.

:)

Last edited: