Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X towing setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my base 2023 X delivered recently and I'm always wondering if it can tow my trailer safely.

The travel trailer is less than 4500 lbs and has a tongue weight of 500 lbs.

The top of coupler height measures at 24". The X hitch height is 14". So there is about 8" difference here.

I'm thinking to use a hitch mount which is 2" rise and 8 1/4" long.

Here comes the math: 14"(X hitch height) + 2"(rise) + 3"(ball height) = 19" < 24"(trailer coupler height)

Is this setup doable? I know according to the manual the rise should be less than 3/4" and length should be less than 8". The trailer has one axle.

Thanks.

How large the Model X towing margin beyond the max? I'm towing my trailer with a MDX now and it tows like a charm. MDX and X have same towing capacity. Anyone has hand on towing experience with the X?

Are you looking for somebody to tell you something you want to hear contrary to the OEM? I'm sure lots of people exceed their limits. I doubt insurance will accept that if you are involved in any type of incident.

The focus point for my setup is the 2" rise to compensate the different heights between the coupler and X hitch . Other than that I'm not too concerned.
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 4.00.02 PM.png

I don’t get why they would limit the rise to only 3/4”. It would lead to more breaking accelerating torque on the hitch mount. But I don’t recall seeing rise limits on any other vehicle hitches.

Height must be set to low. Again this will have consequences for rear tire wear.

As a last point I don’t really care for the Bosal hitch design. I think it makes strength sacrifices for easy removal. There is a reason the aftermarket hitches don’t utilize this I think.