Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Tyres - Suitable for NZ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve been hanging out for the MY to be released in NZ, but was dissapointed they haven’t included the LR. While I believe it’s coming, we all know that could be quite a while yet, so I’ve been debating the pro’s and con’s of the standard vs performance.

I really like the Performance model, for a little extra range and the fog lights (which I think should be mandatory on all cars, but that’s another discussion) butwhere I get stuck is the wheels. I like the look of the 21” wheels but I live in Napier and from various comments online I worry that the odds of destroying them on the Napier-Taupo road (which is known to have some good potholes) is high. I also do a small amount of driving on unsealed roads to DOC walks etc.

I’m wondering if anyone with more real world experience with performance tyres in the smaller wall-sizes like this has any thoughts on the matter? I have never paid much attention to the tyres on past vehicles s but I’ve never been close to those dimensions so don’t have anything to form an opinion with beyond the reviews of people who have had issues (not many say note that they “haven’t had issues”) with “big potholes” that get no further definition to judge upon.

If I was just driving around a bigger city I wouldn’t have such concern, but NZ isn’t all like SH1 so it could be a deal breaker for practicality.

Thanks for any comments or thoughts anyone has.

Well I've been ok so far in Auckland, I just keep an eye on the pothole situation and either slow down or avoid
Now that I'm posting this all of the tyres will probably explode tomorrow
if you don't do it you'll probably regret every time you see a PMY drive past

So I’ve been hanging out for the MY to be released in NZ, but was dissapointed they haven’t included the LR. While I believe it’s coming, we all know that could be quite a while yet, so I’ve been debating the pro’s and con’s of the standard vs performance.

I really like the Performance model, for a little extra range and the fog lights (which I think should be mandatory on all cars, but that’s another discussion) butwhere I get stuck is the wheels. I like the look of the 21” wheels but I live in Napier and from various comments online I worry that the odds of destroying them on the Napier-Taupo road (which is known to have some good potholes) is high. I also do a small amount of driving on unsealed roads to DOC walks etc.

I’m wondering if anyone with more real world experience with performance tyres in the smaller wall-sizes like this has any thoughts on the matter? I have never paid much attention to the tyres on past vehicles s but I’ve never been close to those dimensions so don’t have anything to form an opinion with beyond the reviews of people who have had issues (not many say note that they “haven’t had issues”) with “big potholes” that get no further definition to judge upon.

If I was just driving around a bigger city I wouldn’t have such concern, but NZ isn’t all like SH1 so it could be a deal breaker for practicality.

Thanks for any comments or thoughts anyone has.
not the exactly same but always used very low profile performance tyres with my all previous cars (5 Audi A8L over 15 years) and they are designed for all roads (you can buy bit costly all season version), bit noisy but steady and trustworthy. quite frequented drives between Auckland - Taupo - Napier, and other part of North Island with no issues whatsoever...

They are what they are - performance tyre with low road profile (smaller but stronger side walls). they do what any good performance tyre should do, help you stay on road and last long if rotated every 7-10K... perform even better if filled with Nitrogen.

but from my Tesla experience, where I purchased my in-between car model 3 with upgraded wheels.... don't get upgrades from Tesla, instead you could get much better wheels and Tyres off market and potentially go for little wider as well as 22inches without issue. if you add selling almost unused Tesla wheel and tyres plus extra you pay to Tesla for upgrade, you should be able to get top end aftermarket wheels and Tyres easy.

You can get 19s for the performance if you want.

But the stock 21 ubers are heavy solid beasts I think nothing like the og 20s on the 3

You can get 19s for the performance if you want.
Thanks guys,

@Audietron: One of the issues with the stock tyres is that the front and back are different sizes so can't just rotate as normal. Nitrogen is a standard for me though. I think that if I changed wheels I'd either buy outright aftermarket or perhaps look to swap with someone who got a standard MY with 19" or 20" perhaps. Great to hear your driving experience in this area with the low profile though!

@RobDickinson: I had seen that article where the 19" tyres did fit, I was just not overly fond of having to buy new wheels on top of a quite expensive car. No idea what I'd get selling the factory 21" ones without a bunch going in NZ to evaluate, and again I just don't know enough to take a guess. Might have to go talk nicely to my local tyre shop and pick their brains.

It's always hard to understand balance where you might get 100 users complain about the massive issue they have, but you don't get the 1000 people who have had no issues finding it notable to mention.

Reactions: Audietron
Thanks guys,

@Audietron: One of the issues with the stock tyres is that the front and back are different sizes so can't just rotate as normal. Nitrogen is a standard for me though. I think that if I changed wheels I'd either buy outright aftermarket or perhaps look to swap with someone who got a standard MY with 19" or 20" perhaps. Great to hear your driving experience in this area with the low profile though!

@RobDickinson: I had seen that article where the 19" tyres did fit, I was just not overly fond of having to buy new wheels on top of a quite expensive car. No idea what I'd get selling the factory 21" ones without a bunch going in NZ to evaluate, and again I just don't know enough to take a guess. Might have to go talk nicely to my local tyre shop and pick their brains.

It's always hard to understand balance where you might get 100 users complain about the massive issue they have, but you don't get the 1000 people who have had no issues finding it notable to mention.
Huperdrive could be a starting point... call them in advance of getting car, work out a deal where they arrange to sell your OEM ones or stock themselves.

Tessories – Premium Aftermarket Accessories for Tesla - these guys might be interested as well.... they do sell all Tesla accessories etc. and tow bar fitting etc.

there is always someone.... it maybe worthwhile making a post about it and see if any fellow MY buyer wish to get OEM as spares... you never know.

without trying you never know. once you try in advance, you know if getting upgrade or not.... Tesla tyres got sensor built-in so aftermarket tyres need to be Tesla compatible I guess.

If nothing works... depending on what's original you are getting and if they can be fitted to my M3, I might be interested myself - as already clocked around 12K.

But I've not seen any reports on the 21 ubers, they are quite heavy wheels
Youtube has a fairly decent list of people talking about bad experiences with the 21". But as I say, as details are light and there's not much info from those with good experiences it's hard to critically evaluate especially for ones coming from an entirely different factory to an entirely different country.

As @Ecoli suggests, I'm pretty sure if I don't go with the Performance I'll kick myself every time I see one, but at present, I think if I press go I'll be doing as you suggest @Audietron and seeing if anyone is interested in a swap or at worse just find some reasonably priced 19/20"; thanks for the Hyperdrive comment reference, I haven't seen them before but look like they have some options! I know very little about the TPMS but I'll be taking that in to account and doing some research to ensure things work out well for sure.

Reactions: Audietron
Youtube has a fairly decent list of people talking about bad experiences with the 21". But as I say, as details are light and there's not much info from those with good experiences it's hard to critically evaluate especially for ones coming from an entirely different factory to an entirely different country.

As @Ecoli suggests, I'm pretty sure if I don't go with the Performance I'll kick myself every time I see one, but at present, I think if I press go I'll be doing as you suggest @Audietron and seeing if anyone is interested in a swap or at worse just find some reasonably priced 19/20"; thanks for the Hyperdrive comment reference, I haven't seen them before but look like they have some options! I know very little about the TPMS but I'll be taking that in to account and doing some research to ensure things work out well for sure.
Hyperdrive is good place for mid to high end stuff... don't forget to get research done before finalising anything as they surely do price match and you can get better wheels as upgrades (as they try to upsell instead of giving money your way).

My M3 purchase was my training or experimenting with BEV cars... learn hard way few things, including colour, wheels etc... hopefully handy when Cybertruck or model S comes along - or I hit jackpot and buy Audi E-tron RS, Hummer EV or something similarly better.

They'll list the long range soon, with boost that's not too far off a performance
The LR was really where I had expected to aim; if I knew how far off it was I'd probably just plan around that, but I haven't seen any timelines and don't know if there are any patterns to their release cycles. The performance part of the MYP has never been what I was after so a little less power doesn't bother me.

Does anyone know what NZ's policy on order changes is? I found a few bits from overseas but nothing locally regarding what changes are allowed and for what timeframe after order. For example, if I ordered the MYP and the LR was released in October, would I have to cancel and reorder, or could I change my order without losing my deposit?