Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Replacement Tyres - Cost and Durability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd share my information on tyre life for other's benefit.

Today, after 59,500 km, I replaced my tyres on my Model 3 Performance (Dec 2019). The tyres still had some tread left on them, but due to the different ages and wear Tesla had recommended that I replace them during my 4 year service. I lost 2 tyres 3 months into my ownership due to a pothole and another tyre (one of the replaced ones) due to sidewall damage after being on some dodgy roads, including gravel about a year into my ownership. Thus, there was still 2 original tyres on the car and 2 newer ones.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35 ZR20 92Y T0 tyres are difficult to find, at least on the Gold Coast, so I had to order them in December for fitting today. The tyre shop originally said they may not be available until the middle of Feb. I've found this to be consistent when I had to replace the other tyres, so I kept the best tyre from my old set in case of any more tyre damage.

Total cost was $559 each + balancing, alignment check and disposal fee = $2260.

The feedback from the tyre shop is that I had probably got 10,000-15,000 km more than what they would expect. This is most likely due to my longer trips being to Brisbane for work and down to VIC for 2 Xmas trips. Thus, a lot of long, stright roads. That said, I still punch it at the lights every chance I get ;).

I'd be interested to hear other's experience?

Today, after 59,500 km, I replaced my tyres on my Model 3 Performance (Dec 2019). The tyres still had some tread left on them, but due to the different ages and wear Tesla had recommended that I replace them during my 4 year service. I lost 2 tyres 3 months into my ownership due to a pothole and another tyre (one of the replaced ones) due to sidewall damage after being on some dodgy roads, including gravel about a year into my ownership. Thus, there was still 2 original tyres on the car and 2 newer ones.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35 ZR20 92Y T0 tyres are difficult to find, at least on the Gold Coast, so I had to order them in December for fitting today. The tyre shop originally said they may not be available until the middle of Feb. I've found this to be consistent when I had to replace the other tyres, so I kept the best tyre from my old set in case of any more tyre damage.

The feedback from the tyre shop is that I had probably got 10,000-15,000 km more than what they would expect. This is most likely due to my longer trips being to Brisbane for work and down to VIC for 2 Xmas trips. Thus, a lot of long, stright roads. That said, I still punch it at the lights every chance I get ;).

You’re spot on with long straight roads extending tyre life, there’s a model 3 Performance in WA that clocked 115,000kms on the original set of 20s due to the low number of corners per distance driven. On the other hand some inner city drivers are chopping out a set of tyres in less than 30k kms.

Today, after 59,500 km, I replaced my tyres on my Model 3 Performance (Dec 2019). The tyres still had some tread left on them,

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35 ZR20 92Y T0 tyres are difficult to find, at least on the Gold Coast,

I changed my tyres yesterday at 62500km. I’ve been really happy with the Michelin PS4 my M3 LR came with but at $550 per tyre and limited availability decided to go with the $240 Kumho PS71EV tyres. I’ll be paying a lot of attention to how they compare with the PS4.
(Now need to play around the TPMS sensor reset 🤔).

My Model 3P got 42k km on the rears - the fronts were destroyed by eating the INSIDE SHOULDERS (y'know, where you can't see to measure tread depth) by 36k. Front suspension linkages and bushes were replaced twice in that period.
I am of the opinion not shared by Tesla, that they owe me at least 6k worth of Michelin.
Probably 12 actually, since the rears lived on the front for a time.

I had fairly even wear on my tyres. That sounds like something was amiss with the alignment or suspension? Did you hear of anyone else with similar problems?

Has done it to my tyres since 2019 (M3P-). Current/last set finally did the recommendations of doing rotations but only did 3 lots of 10k rotations before slacking off. Finally had to replace the fronts (down to the wire on the inside) at around 68k (should have done earlier if noticed). Might get another 5-10k out of the rear which are now on the front. Michelin PS 5's.

Have had Tesla specc'd wheel alignments done before each set. Jax have said it's normal for Tesla's/performance cars. Other tyre shops raise their eyebrows.

May be inherent suspension problems in 2019 models, mine is too although I only took delivery in Feb 2020.
I have never experienced such gaslighting as happened around these tyres and their issues.
Michelin would not even divulge what the new tyre tread depths should be!
The front Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35R20 92Y were replaced early as mentioned, and for some reason Tesla later chose to replace the worn-out rears with Pirelli P Zero without asking me... be interesting to see which goes furthest, I've never owned a car with mismatched tyres.
Good to hear 68k+ is feasible, my driving style has matured a little since 2020.