Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear door closing THUD vs CLUNK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y is due for its Service to fix the rear hatch door which rubs against the light housing and has to be pushed close. I imagine the gaps will be re-aligned when the hatch door is fixed.
The spoiler is coming unglued at one spot and needs to be glued in.

Everything else seems to be OK with the car except for the rear doors. They close fine however the sound make while closing is more of a metal clunk... as if the door striker plate is catching on door metal frame. Even my kids commented how off it sounds. Typically a car door closes with a satisfying thud... where my Tesla has this clunky sound to it.

Has anyone else had issues with rear door being misaligned? I suppose I can live with it but make me wonder if there are metal parts catching, would that eventually lead to some issues.

My Model Y is due for its Service to fix the rear hatch door which rubs against the light housing and has to be pushed close. I imagine the gaps will be re-aligned when the hatch door is fixed.

Everything else seems to be OK with the car except for the rear doors. They close fine however the sound make while closing is more of a metal clunk... as if the door striker plate is catching on door metal frame. Even my kids commented how off it sounds. Typically a car door closes with a satisfying thud... where my Tesla has this clunky sound to it.

Has anyone else had issues with rear door being misaligned? I suppose I can live with it but make me wonder if there are metal parts catching, would that eventually lead to some issues.

did you resolve the clunk issue, im having this happen to my rear doors, almost sounds like metal on metal or glass on metal :/

After I had my Y for a few weeks last summer, I started hearing the clunk. Scheduled a service appointment and asked for a mobile ranger if possible. My appointment was changed to a mobile ranger. He showed up on time and within about 45 minutes, had fixed the problem. He loosened the hatch hinge bolts on the opposite side of where it was rubbing and moved the hatch just slightly and re-tighten things down. Problem solved and it hasn't returned.

• Love
Reactions: bread

I got it fixed when the mobile tech came out to fix my camera , it was as follow :):D, very quick , I think you can do it by yourself if you have the tools
Verify customers concern. Found the driver side door had a small clunk. Found the door striker
hitting the latch a little when closing. Adjust the door striker Down a little and recheck and noise is gone

I got it fixed when the mobile tech came out to fix my camera , it was as follow :):D, very quick , I think you can do it by yourself if you have the tools
Verify customers concern. Found the driver side door had a small clunk. Found the door striker
hitting the latch a little when closing. Adjust the door striker Down a little and recheck and noise is gone