Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTW big changes in 2024 Model Y vs 2023 earlier Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went to the car show and then the tesla store, I'm noticing some big changes in 2024 Model Y vs 2023 Model Y namely:

1. Trunk felt liner is now all the way to shoulder part where you put the trunk lid and goes into the sides of the backseat. This potentially reduces the tinny sound, and also definitely fixes the seat belt issue where it clangs on the side plastic.
  2. Middle seat is completely redesigned, the middle headrest is now super stiff, and cannot go up more than 2 clicks. It now clicks and locks down rather than in the 2023 where it just floats. The middle seat also is super stiff and stuck into the seat compared to the current loose version where you need to put electrical tape on the metal shaft to keep it in place.
  3. They've also increased the diameter of the metal shaft that keeps the middle seat in place, which makes sense why it feels far sturdier than before.
  4. Back seats also feel a lot more firm, rather than feeling flimsy. I am able to shake my back seat in 2023 whereas in 2024, I am unable to even make it move.
  5. the 2 rubber pieces on bottom of the trunk are now far smaller, and wider apart, not sure what this means from a design point of view but they seem to be better. Trunk also closes far more quiet than the 2023 model
I'm guessing a vast majority of rattle will be fixed in the 2024 Model Y, can owners please respond and see if they've noticed a big difference?

Not a single news or forum has brought this up. It seems like a huge update to fix rattling issues.

Agreed, on a whim we went in to the main Vancouver showroom. I am less impressed with the new cargo cover. The multi-fold design is not that appealing. I would have preferred a soft roller-blind style cover. Imagine if you forgot to take it out first before collecting people and luggage from the airport, it is just plain bulky. Also, with the reclining rear seats, there is a huge gap along the front edge when the rear seats are in their most upright position.
What we really went to see and test drive was the new updated model 3. Wow the suspension is sooo much better, it rides like a mini model S...weighted and smooth. The rear wheel drive version is half the price of my older model S, and with the transfer of my FUSC, this would be a really tempting car. Still for me, only one screen and a small tunnel of trunk when compared to the S.

Reactions: KevinT3141
those changes seem small and incremental rather than "big" or "huge" or maybe my hyperbole meter is calibrated differently. May also be why not even the Tesla sites have noted the changes.
Tesla is constantly changing the design, the door closing sound is noticeably different from a car built six months ago, but individually not of these detail changes are huge changes.
Constant, incremental improvement. Very rarely does it reach the level of "I need to wait before ordering" :)

Just went to the car show and then the tesla store, I'm noticing some big changes in 2024 Model Y vs 2023 Model Y namely:

1. Trunk felt liner is now all the way to shoulder part where you put the trunk lid and goes into the sides of the backseat. This potentially reduces the tinny sound, and also definitely fixes the seat belt issue where it clangs on the side plastic.
  2. Middle seat is completely redesigned, the middle headrest is now super stiff, and cannot go up more than 2 clicks. It now clicks and locks down rather than in the 2023 where it just floats. The middle seat also is super stiff and stuck into the seat compared to the current loose version where you need to put electrical tape on the metal shaft to keep it in place.
  3. They've also increased the diameter of the metal shaft that keeps the middle seat in place, which makes sense why it feels far sturdier than before.
  4. Back seats also feel a lot more firm, rather than feeling flimsy. I am able to shake my back seat in 2023 whereas in 2024, I am unable to even make it move.
  5. the 2 rubber pieces on bottom of the trunk are now far smaller, and wider apart, not sure what this means from a design point of view but they seem to be better. Trunk also closes far more quiet than the 2023 model
I'm guessing a vast majority of rattle will be fixed in the 2024 Model Y, can owners please respond and see if they've noticed a big difference?

Not a single news or forum has brought this up. It seems like a huge update to fix rattling issues.

I doubt a bulk of the people buying Teslas care about any of these details. I appreciate the incremental updates though.

FWIW I’m very pleased with the initial quality of my Austin-built 2024 MYLR, inside and out. I don’t have much seat time in other Teslas to compare it it to but I am very picky when it comes to random noises and rattles in my cars and so far so good.

Reactions: petercc9
FWIW I’m very pleased with the initial quality of my Austin-built 2024 MYLR, inside and out. I don’t have much seat time in other Teslas to compare it it to but I am very picky when it comes to random noises and rattles in my cars and so far so good.

Just coming up on the one year anniversary with the Fremont YP, and was just thinking on this mornings drive how tight and completely squeak and rattle free it is, especially for our somewhat rough and pot holed roads.
Maybe have to rethink that when the 18" snow tires come off and 21" ubers go back on.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Just coming up on the one year anniversary with the Fremont YP, and was just thinking on this mornings drive how tight and completely squeak and rattle free it is, especially for our somewhat rough and pot holed roads.
Maybe have to rethink that when the 18" snow tires come off and 21" ubers go back on.
Same. Our July 22’ MYP (ordered Dec 2021) is smooth as ever with 70k km driven in under 2 yrs. 21” Ubers for spring summer and 19” for winter. No rattles or squeaks.

So far it’s been a workhorse and only in for one door trim adjustment once in 2022 and a wiper arm adjustment in 2023. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I do run a 295/275 set up on 21’s and initially caused some uneven wear but an alignment fixed it …so all good 👍🏽

I’ve put in construction mats (thick blue ones) to line the frunk and lower trunk cavity..and the reduction in interior cabin noise is noticeable. Also run psi at 38/39 to help smoothen out small road bumps.

All in all, quite happy.

Last edited:
Same. Our July 22’ MYP (ordered Dec 2021) is smooth as ever with 70k km driven in under 2 yrs. 21” Ubers for spring summer and 19” for winter. No rattles or squeaks.

So far it’s been a workhorse and only in for one door trim adjustment once in 2022 and a wiper arm adjustment in 2023. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I do run a 295/275 set up on 21’s and initially caused some uneven wear but an alignment fixed it …so all good 👍🏽

I’ve put in construction mats (thick blue ones) to line the frunk and lower trunk cavity..and the reduction in interior cabin noise is noticeable. Also run psi at 38/39 to help smoothen out small road bumps.

All in all, quite happy.
I also bought liners for everything and it does seem quieter. Remounted the 21's for a week and then switched out the 18" studded snows for Hankook ventus Evo 2's 255/55-18 rears and 235/55-18 fronts. They are quieter than the all season Michelins and ride better. Going to take a 200 mile trip today and see how the watt hour comes out, Hoping for a 10% reduction in energy use over the uber/Michelins. The car rides better but going to give up some lateral grip.

Very happy with the 23 model... B U T if in 2025 they release a Ludacris mode YP with over 600 HP I might be able to adapt to a stalkless turn signal :)

Reactions: Destiny1701