Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended. Thoughts on total loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar 3 car accident with my '21 MY, where I was the 1st car rear ended at a stop light. Damage to repair the body & paint was $11K and PPF/ceramic to same areas was $2.5K. I did not have any side panel damage as your MY shows. IMHO I doubt that an insurance company will total your MY vehicle for this type of damage. I would have liked a new MY, but they just paid the bill(s).

Tesla Car Accident Scene 8-19-20227.jpeg

I had half the damage on mines on oahu and it went to unibody in mapunapuna and the estimate to the damage was over $15k. I would imagine yours is exponentially higher. hope you can take the total loss. with all the welding back they did on mines it took 2 months while i drove a rental car courtesy of his insurance. had to go make costco gas runs for the first time in years . good luck bruddah.
Wow, 2 months, that's a long time for half the damage. Not sure how long ago that was, but would imagine it could be longer now due to every place being so backed up with work. I'm sorry you had to wait 2 months, but thankfully you had a car rental on their dime. I emailed one of the guys that is doing the estimate to get an update. I'll post when I know. Appreciate the feedback and wishes of luck, I'll take it! Aloha!

Reactions: vet757
On Tesla's site there are 4 shops approved, but only in Oahu so car will have to be transported somehow on a boat with in completely immobile. That won't be very cheap without damaging it further.
Please keep us updated. On how this goes, I'm curious what the adjuster says. Especially if you choose to ask about a diminished value claim.

yeah. on oahu there is a place in mapunapuna called unibody and the other one is called KW body. both actually in mapunapuna and both have smaller garages near the kakaako area. i ended up with unibody cause they cost more and it wasnt my insurance. problem is they take a bit of time. granted mostly cause of waiting for parts. quality wise? ive had the car back for about 3 months and have no issues. considering they had to take off panels and weld the new parts on, i would say they did a great job. I think the dudes name was Dayton that helped me out there.

UPDATE: Car has been deemed a total loss, which we are very happy about. The payout is going to be roughly $68k not including the aftermarket wheels and tires, which I just provided invoices for to them. I should have the updated payout today. We weren't going to feel comfortable driving that car again, not the mention the diminished value if we decided to sell it and the time it would take to repair. I appreciate the feedback and opinions from all that contributed. It was very helpful to have. I hope this thread will help others if they encounter the same issue. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with our insurance company, Liberty Mutual. This is our fist claim and we are impressed with how quickly they have acted on this.

UPDATE: Car has been deemed a total loss, which we are very happy about. The payout is going to be roughly $68k not including the aftermarket wheels and tires, which I just provided invoices for to them. I should have the updated payout today. We weren't going to feel comfortable driving that car again, not the mention the diminished value if we decided to sell it and the time it would take to repair. I appreciate the feedback and opinions from all that contributed. It was very helpful to have. I hope this thread will help others if they encounter the same issue. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with our insurance company, Liberty Mutual. This is our fist claim and we are impressed with how quickly they have acted on this.
Sounds like the result you wanted. Glad this worked out for you. Is another Tesla in the cards?

My Model S had a similar rear end collision (not quite this bad).
They replaced rear hatch cover and rear bumper covers as well as some floor parts. (about $10,000)
Your looks more problematic since your R rear quarter panel is involved. (Mine didn't have any quarter panel damage.)
Aloha, my wife and daughter were rear ended in our Model Y last week. Thankfully they are ok and only have some minor bruises and neck pain. As she approached a red light, a driver behind her was apparently reaching for his phone that fell on the floor. I believe he was probably going 25-35mph and hit them and didn't appear to have even hit the brakes before doing so. I'm curious on opinions if it will be deemed a total loss or not. We live in Maui and the only approved body shops are in Oahu (a different island for those not familiar with Hawai'i). Additionally aside from the physical damage pictured, the car was immobile and sent a notification of failure. When I got to the scene, the screen had more than a dozen alert and error messages. The windows rolled down apparently right after the crash on their own, but we were unable to get them up. It has been raining since and the car is uncovered and we have not had access to the lot where it is so there will be water damage to top it off. I've seen some posts with less damage and some with more and the opinions seem all over the place as well as the insurance company decisions. Our insurance company is Liberty Mutual and supposedly they are estimating the vehicles value along with repair estimates and assuming they will go after the other insurance company of the driver that hit them. I did let them know about the downed windows and recent downpours of rain. Anyways, we are hoping it's a total loss as we know that if they repair it, it will have to be shipped to another island, which is going to be costly since it's immobile, and will take forever to fix, and most likely not fixed right. Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Mahalo!

View attachment 901400View attachment 901399View attachment 901398
I’m sorry this sucks. Are you selling the rims and tires?. Sorry again

Wow, 2 months, that's a long time for half the damage. Not sure how long ago that was, but would imagine it could be longer now due to every place being so backed up with work. I'm sorry you had to wait 2 months, but thankfully you had a car rental on their dime. I emailed one of the guys that is doing the estimate to get an update. I'll post when I know. Appreciate the feedback and wishes of luck, I'll take it! Aloha!
lemme know if you come on this side and need help with anything. always here to take care. and good luck

how much you paid for the car when you bought? and when did you buy it? before price dipped?

Hey man, I recently got into a similar car crash like that. My question was did your insurance total it or did Tesla total it? Also, do you have an email so I can send you pictures of the car? This is my first time with this process so I am a bit confused on what are the step I have to do.

Hey man, I recently got into a similar car crash like that. My question was did your insurance total it or did Tesla total it? Also, do you have an email so I can send you pictures of the car? This is my first time with this process so I am a bit confused on what are the step I have to do.
Only your insurance company can total it and it’s based on the cost to fix vs the value of the vehicle

Aloha, my wife and daughter were rear ended in our Model Y last week. Thankfully they are ok and only have some minor bruises and neck pain. As she approached a red light, a driver behind her was apparently reaching for his phone that fell on the floor. I believe he was probably going 25-35mph and hit them and didn't appear to have even hit the brakes before doing so. I'm curious on opinions if it will be deemed a total loss or not. We live in Maui and the only approved body shops are in Oahu (a different island for those not familiar with Hawai'i). Additionally aside from the physical damage pictured, the car was immobile and sent a notification of failure. When I got to the scene, the screen had more than a dozen alert and error messages. The windows rolled down apparently right after the crash on their own, but we were unable to get them up. It has been raining since and the car is uncovered and we have not had access to the lot where it is so there will be water damage to top it off. I've seen some posts with less damage and some with more and the opinions seem all over the place as well as the insurance company decisions. Our insurance company is Liberty Mutual and supposedly they are estimating the vehicles value along with repair estimates and assuming they will go after the other insurance company of the driver that hit them. I did let them know about the downed windows and recent downpours of rain. Anyways, we are hoping it's a total loss as we know that if they repair it, it will have to be shipped to another island, which is going to be costly since it's immobile, and will take forever to fix, and most likely not fixed right. Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Mahalo!

View attachment 901400View attachment 901399View attachment 901398

Only your insurance company can total it and it’s based on the cost to fix vs the value of the vehicle
Hey man, what's your email I just got into one too. Or do you have discord?