Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for damage assessment/repairability thoughts [is this totaled?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Looking to get some advice/validation on a collision in my 2022 Model Y.

Couple weeks ago, I got Tboned from someone running a stop sign. No air bags deployed, everyone's safe and healthy.

So the auto shop got back to me today, estimating $20k in repairs and that it's most likely not a total loss. He says their diagnosis doesn't point to any frame or battery damage, but I'm skeptical. I guess I'm a bit confused how there isn't frame damage with a pretty direct hit to the wheel well area.

I let the auto shop know I wanted it to be a total loss due to safety and diminished value concerns and they seemed to be understanding. Initially, I thought there was gonna be a high chance this is totaled since the damage is close to the batteries and frame, but I also don't really know the insides of the Model Y and thought maybe folks with more knowledge here can provide some info.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230613_101437 (1).jpg
    20230613_101437 (1).jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 20230613_172201.jpg
    20230613_172201.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 182
Hi all,

Looking to get some advice/validation on a collision in my 2022 Model Y.

Couple weeks ago, I got Tboned from someone running a stop sign. No air bags deployed, everyone's safe and healthy.

So the auto shop got back to me today, estimating $20k in repairs and that it's most likely not a total loss. He says their diagnosis doesn't point to any frame or battery damage, but I'm skeptical. I guess I'm a bit confused how there isn't frame damage with a pretty direct hit to the wheel well area.

I let the auto shop know I wanted it to be a total loss due to safety and diminished value concerns and they seemed to be understanding. Initially, I thought there was gonna be a high chance this is totaled since the damage is close to the batteries and frame, but I also don't really know the insides of the Model Y and thought maybe folks with more knowledge here can provide some info.

Thanks in advance.
Have you run the numbers for a total loss? At least in WA state they can base it off comparable vehicles being sold near you, so if you have a couple Model Y's going for $30k or something, you might still come out of pocket to buy a new one...

I had "minor" frame damage to a front left frame rail and my certified collision center said they were able to replace that part... it kicked the cost of repair up to $36k for a 2022 Performance Y with ~9,500 miles on it... that wasn't considered totaled...

Diminished value is currently estimated at $10k to $14k for me, but I have yet to work with insurance on that since I've been advised to wait until all repairs are complete before tackling DV....

From the pictures it doesn't look like the rear wheel took any of the impact energy (doesn't even look scuffed!) so that probably kept the rear motor ok. You might actually get away without any frame damage... you'll find out as they pull it apart... keep us updated

The AAA agent I've spoken with has been slow to respond, so I'm not 100% sure about what the total loss breakpoint would be. My guess for total loss is something between $36-50k since I purchased FSD.

Also dealing with DV seems like such a hassle. Is there a world where I can just ask for cash and repurchase a car and they take the car to an auction? This is the main reason I wanted the car totaled, I just don't want a car with a collision history and then DV claims.

The AAA agent I've spoken with has been slow to respond, so I'm not 100% sure about what the total loss breakpoint would be. My guess for total loss is something between $36-50k since I purchased FSD.

Also dealing with DV seems like such a hassle. Is there a world where I can just ask for cash and repurchase a car and they take the car to an auction? This is the main reason I wanted the car totaled, I just don't want a car with a collision history and then DV claims.
Probably, but they would probably only give you what the repairs were plus whatever auction got, minus fees… they would have no incentive to get too dollar at auction so you might be footing quite a difference between what they gave you and new car cost.

They only total out a car when it’s cheaper to do that than repairs, and again it’s based on the cost of a comparable vehicle to yours, not a new one.

If the shop is Tesla certified and there is no Tesla collision center around, then the best you can do is discuss with your agent and collision center to see any room for negotiation for a total loss. If it is close, they may be able to negotiate, if not they cannot just declare it simply customer asked, it will be very bad for the business.

This does bring up a good question about FSD, since this is software and can be purchased afterwards, Tesla obviously tied the FSD to the vehicle and not the person, but how does insurance look at it? Do you declare you have FSD and they agreed to cover it ?

If the shop is Tesla certified and there is no Tesla collision center around, then the best you can do is discuss with your agent and collision center to see any room for negotiation for a total loss. If it is close, they may be able to negotiate, if not they cannot just declare it simply customer asked, it will be very bad for the business.

This does bring up a good question about FSD, since this is software and can be purchased afterwards, Tesla obviously tied the FSD to the vehicle and not the person, but how does insurance look at it? Do you declare you have FSD and they agreed to cover it ?
Yeah it seems close. I talked with the auto shop again today who mentioned after everything, they're guessing the final estimate may be around $31-32k. I've been looking around online for pre-accident comparables (Model Y 13k miles, FSD on Tesla's used inventory) and am finding listings in the $55-60k range. And based off California's total loss law (repair + salvage price > ACV), I'd need for repairs to be in the $35k-40k range to be declared total loss.

Insurance hasn't mentioned how they are looking at the cost of my vehicle and I haven't mentioned to them that I have FSD, but I've at least saved the listings I've found for evidence. I did tell the auto shop about FSD, though and they said the insurance company will find out the various options I have in the car.

Update: Shop provided an initial estimate of $21k, then provided a supplemental of $9k or so. AAA has deemed it repairable so we're starting repairs there. Now to try a DV claim afterwards...

The auto shop guy I've been speaking with actually has a guy offering to buy the car for $51k which I may take, and based off DV check, can aim for around $7-9k back in a DV claim.