Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof rack install "fitment of the roof glass"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had a tow hitch installed at the service center and I also asked to have them install a roof rack we had ordered for our 2020 Model Y. They did not install the roof rack and scheduled a follow up appointment, with this text in the invoice "Technician was unable to install roof rack due to fitment of the roof glass. Roof glass is on order for replacement at a future visit". I have not seen this, and am not sure what it means - should we go ahead with the installation? Have other people gotten their roof glass replaced when installing a roof rack?

I had both my windshield and roof glass replaced under warranty due to fitment issues (gaps) and a glass defect at delivery. I had to wait about a month for the parts to arrive. After replacement, the gaps and alignment of the two pieces is excellent, and there has been a serious reduction in wind noise, too. That was over a year ago, and I've been much happier with the replacements than the factory setup. I have not installed a roof rack, but with the way my glass roof was installed at the factory, I would imagine they would have had to replace it anyway.

We recently had a tow hitch installed at the service center and I also asked to have them install a roof rack we had ordered for our 2020 Model Y. They did not install the roof rack and scheduled a follow up appointment, with this text in the invoice "Technician was unable to install roof rack due to fitment of the roof glass. Roof glass is on order for replacement at a future visit". I have not seen this, and am not sure what it means - should we go ahead with the installation? Have other people gotten their roof glass replaced when installing a roof rack?
The roof rack has to fit into the gaps between the glass and the body. If the alignment is off too far to one side from the factory the rack can't be installed without damaging the glass or body. Since it's a defect from the factory they are ordering a new roof to replace the current one and will align it properly. Your only other option is to not get the roof rack if you don't want to go through all that.