Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Wash and Coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF will never look as nice as a good paint job. Now you can get a wrap and have that wrap painted to look good, but why? Only if you don't like the original color. If anyone thinks that they are going to get any more for their used car with the wrap they are awfully hopeful.

One has to understand you are not dealing with a limited production car that will be worth money in 5 or ten years. Mass produced, just use it and enjoy it, sell it in three to ten years and move on.

6 to ten grand for a wrap? ROI = nada, zippo, zilch. People are so funny.

With that being said, I guess, if you have extra money to burn and it makes you happy then you should do it. Why not. Life is short.

Might I suggest?

If I do both PPF and Ceramic the right way and the maximum effect. What cost am I looking at for the whole thing.

Are you thinking PPF on the whole car? If so your probably looking at $7-8k for a full PPF and Ceramic Coating. If your just doing the front end in PPF then it's probably around $3-4k.

I would love to put PPF on the whole car but that is ALOT of money!! Honestly I would either do just PPF on the whole car or PPF on the front half then ceramic coating... Unless you got money to burn :)

Are you thinking PPF on the whole car? If so your probably looking at $7-8k for a full PPF and Ceramic Coating. If your just doing the front end in PPF then it's probably around $3-4k.

I would love to put PPF on the whole car but that is ALOT of money!! Honestly I would either do just PPF on the whole car or PPF on the front half then ceramic coating... Unless you got money to burn :)
I'm not going to guess at whether PPF/Ceramic is a good investment if you're optimizing for resale. That's because I don't buy cars with the goal of selling them.

I'm an owner, not a dealer. I fully expect to own the MY until the latest offering from Tesla is just too good to pass up (500 mile range? 0-60 in under 2 seconds? true AI that drives you door to door and even burps you?), at which point I'll reluctantly trade it in.

I do care about driving cars, though, and PPF seals in the corrections to the paint job and protects against light damage, while ceramic coating acts like long-lasting wax. I want the car to look great when new and keep that look with moderate effort, not repaints.

Is $10k on a $75k car excessive? It certainly is if the car itself is straining your budget, so I'm not going to judge anyone for making a financial decision based on their own circumstances. Neither covering is magical but this isn't a beat-up 1992 Ford Explorer that's destined to be sold as scrap. (Ask me how I know about those.)

I know the new car will come with significant cosmetic defects. I expect to hold Tesla's feet to the coals to force them to correct as much as possible, then have a detailer fix the rest at my expense. At that point, after all that trouble, sealing in the corrections seems like a no-brainer to me. But YYMV, literally.

Reactions: Darmie
ok -- I was thinking a 2K or less investment. I have no idea, but watched a video and asked the question. I've bought one new car in my life. A Honda Prelude in 1985. Our last cars all were north of 150K miles - so we keep till the maintenance end. This tread has moved me to thinking Ceramic or nothing.

ok -- I was thinking a 2K or less investment. I have no idea, but watched a video and asked the question. I've bought one new car in my life. A Honda Prelude in 1985. Our last cars all were north of 150K miles - so we keep till the maintenance end. This tread has moved me to thinking Ceramic or nothing.
What @DDrawer said: ceramic coating is semi-permanent wax. It offers no protection except against water and sunlight. As for the $10k number, that's more of an upper limit of my budget than anything else.

What I've found is full PPF with a top-shelf wrap (Suntek or Xpel) is about $5k. This isn't just for the film, but for the installation, including corrections. Once you have that, you do the ceramic coating on top. Prices will vary with location, quality of installation, and other factors, but this is a reasonable estimate.

Is it worth it? Well, if you're not going to get Tesla's mistakes corrected, then skip the PPF and just shine it up with ceramic coating to distract from the defects. If you are, then it may well pay to at least put PPF on the front, which is where most of the rock dings and such would be. It's not cheap, but neither is the Tesla.

well my spouse wanted a Jeep and I priced out a Rubicon for 52K. Tesla is not cheap, but it's pretty amazing so far. It's actually getting hard to drive my Rav4. At CarMax there are many many high end cars on the cheap; way over inventory then 2 years ago. Honestly on my 27xx White VIN LR I just don't see the defects. I'm not sure I drive enough to worry about the dings. My challenge in this house is no easy hose to the back and I'm not going to take the Y to a drive thru so the benefits of ceramic for rinse/wash might me nice. As an aside I did buy those fitted floor mats for $129. They look a little gangsta----but oh so cool.

well my spouse wanted a Jeep and I priced out a Rubicon for 52K. Tesla is not cheap, but it's pretty amazing so far. It's actually getting hard to drive my Rav4. At CarMax there are many many high end cars on the cheap; way over inventory then 2 years ago. Honestly on my 27xx White VIN LR I just don't see the defects. I'm not sure I drive enough to worry about the dings. My challenge in this house is no easy hose to the back and I'm not going to take the Y to a drive thru so the benefits of ceramic for rinse/wash might me nice. As an aside I did buy those fitted floor mats for $129. They look a little gangsta----but oh so cool.
Even with PPF/ceramic, I wouldn't take my car to a regular car wash.

Floor mats aren't a bad idea.

Reactions: same

I might have to eat my words as the more I think about it the more I want to just wrap the whole car.. with kids running in and out of the garage with all their stuff, they always brush up against the back of the car and the fenders... might just be worth it to not have to worry.

Reactions: Electric Steve