Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I recently got Model Y and want to treat the car right and maintain in pristine condition. Till now ive been driving honda civic and used to take it to touchless/ tunnel car wash. Over the period of driving it for 7 years i notice lot of swirl marks and scratches that could be the result of touchless car wash, hard soaps and hard water they use. I dont want to repeat the same mistake again for model y. With numerous rinseless wash brands i see on market im completely overwhelmed. These are few things im looking for in the product, I did full front ppf and im looking for a product that doesnt damage it, shouldnt take ton of time and dont want any wax or streaks left behind. I see products like rubitt and nano foam 2.0 but not sure how they stack against OGs like ONR, Absolute and other brands. Please suggest what brands worked for you and any “donts” that i may have to avoid.

Most people actually replace a car in 10 yrs because of technology and servicing upgrades. Plus the retail value of a 10 yr used car with excellent looks (like yours) or a well maintained car (not a beaten up or not cared for car) are about the same. I did a dealer trade and they gave no additional $$ to me because mine looked like new. When I insisted that this had PPF, etc. they offered me $100 more. So then there is that.
I sold the 2014 to my friend with about 50,000 miles on it, and he gave me credit for the PPF and the new motor Tesla gave me because of a slight whirr. They also gave him a new battery at 70,000 miles, because the Panasonic batteries were substandard. So he basically had a new car. He got his money's worth with 87,000 miles and it's probably still worth $14,000. He just had the PPF removed. I never trade in or sell a car to a dealer. You always get ripped.

Upvote 0
$1500 for just the front is expensive to me. And you cannot just run your car thru ANY car wash after ceramic unless you wanna void your warranty.

Who needs to wash their car twice a week?? If I lived in a place that got so much dirt on my car that I had to wash it twice per week I might consider it, but I'd consider moving before I did that. Washing twice a week just to keep it looking nice is nuts. Only a masochist would do that.
Warranties on ceramic are worthless and my installer said there's no problem going through the car wash with it. It just protects it from any swirl.

I'm not sure how you would claim a warranty issue on a ceramic job??

My PPF and Chemical Guys wet have done wonders on all nine previous Teslas, and therun through the car wash at least weekly without any impact on the finish, except some spotting on the black trim, which I hope will be precluded by the ceramic coat which I've not done before. It's been easily corrected with a little wax job.

To each their own, but if you purchase a $50,000 to $70,000 vehicle, I'm sure PPF is a good investment, or perhaps the DIY PPF is more reasonable for some.

I just tend not to prefer slinging a bucket or two, but to each their own. My friend who is a two bucket washer and always has been, experienced a crisis when he didn't notice that his kids have been playing with the sponges, and he hit the surface of his car with the tiny sand and rocks that were inside the sponge. Ewww. Ouch. The effect was worse than any car wash. I think his kids are still in timeout.

I think there's a reason why Tesla's have Car Wash mode.

Enjoy your Tesla, and this form provides a great opportunity for people with varied interests to share their ideas. Thanks to all.

Upvote 0