Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheels and efficiency/range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the deal with the range impacts of different Model Y wheels? I ordered AWD LR w/ 19" Gemini wheels. I heard that 19" is more efficient and gets you 315 miles. However, I can't find any information about that.

I suppose I like the 20"/21" wheels better aesthetically, but I really need the range.

Reactions: lnsh
It's actually just simple aerodynamics.

Regular wheels without those aero caps you'd find on the 3's 18-Aero and Y's 19-Gemini have bigger gaps that can trap air, causing drag and increasing the force needed to push past it.

The aero caps solve this problem by hiding those gaps and creating a flatter and more streamlined surface for the air to pass over, reducing drag.

I'd talk about the tire's rubber and how it could factor in, but I don't know enough about it to explain it confidently.

EDIT: a word

If you live where there are potholes, you replace the larger diameter tires a lot more. Lees rubber to absorb the hits so some report blowouts more often.

I'm going for the standard wheels and tires. I am replacing a BMW 335i with the sport package, sport tires give a harder ride (stiffer sidewalls), make more noise, and I've had to replace 4 tires and one alloy wheel due to damage from potholes. Hit a pothole and the sidewall gets pinched against the wheel, if you're lucky, damage that can't be repaired. OTOH, the upgraded wheels look really good on the car...

I have a Y on order, scheduled a test drive when they come in, and the guy who called me from Tesla confirmed the standard tires have a more comfortable ride, are quieter, and give longer range.

Anyone know if the tires are regular tires or runflats?